1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 19:56
    Originally posted by jacko11
    Chess = Sport? Science? Art?...They are all just labels.
  2. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 01:10
    The International Olympic Committee recognizes Chess as a sport. The question is what is the definition of a sport? I think that competitive tournament chess is a sport. Yes, it is a mental sport. I mean...Bass fishing is a sport. Sailing. There are many different types. It may not be totally physical, but there is an element of it. Fischer said you can't separate mind from body, and he always kept in good shape while playing. Botvinnik was a stickler for this too. So there is a physical element involved because your physical stamina and health affects your mind. In physical sports there is also a mental side that is less prevelant, but still important.
  3. Standard membermax92
    let's play CHESS
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 09:09
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Once I saw the question of whether poker was a sport. I think the same rule applies to chess. If you can get a massage or eat while doing it, it isn't a sport. 🙂
    id have to disagree you can defiantly eat in every sport and also get a massage it mite be a bit difficult but can be done
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 21:17
    Originally posted by max92
    id have to disagree you can defiantly eat in every sport and also get a massage it mite be a bit difficult but can be done
    Just wait for the next injury timeout in the sport of your choice, and the chances are good that you may see a player getting a massage.
  5. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 01:32
    agreed
  6. washington
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 11:44
    If chess is a sport then is jeopardy a sport? Scrabble? Chain reaction?

I feel that chess is just a rollercoaster ride for the brain and heart.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 11:49
    This is just a silly semantic discussion. It comes down to whether or not you believe that the word "sport" necessitates a certain amount of physical skill. If you believe that "sport" has more to do with the endeavor being of an intensively competitive nature, then chess (and poker for that matter) is indeed a sport.
  8. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 23:44
    yeah i agree problem soved
  9. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 02:46
    Originally posted by jacko11
    yeah i agree problem soved
    I thought you said that sport doesn't require competition....pro-wrestling.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 03:02
    Originally posted by MrHand
    I thought you said that sport doesn't require competition....pro-wrestling.
    Well I'm not the one who suggested that wrestling be considered a sport, but you could probably make an argument that it is.

Pro wrestling could be considered to be competitive......just not in the way you think. The competition has to do with how they promote themselves and entertain the audience. There are a lot of large muscular guys who would like to be "pro-wrestlers" that can't cut it. It's a very competitive industry, just like any other.
  11. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 03:25
    Originally posted by MindWars
    Well I'm not the one who suggested that wrestling be considered a sport, but you could probably make an argument that it is.

Pro wrestling could be considered to be competitive......just not in the way you think. The competition has to do with how they promote themselves and entertain the audience. There are a lot of large muscular guys who would like to ...[text shortened]... e "pro-wrestlers" that can't cut it. It's a very competitive industry, just like any other.
    Well, I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to jacko11 and referring to a comment that he made about professional wrestling.

Certainly, you can define sport however you want.

By your definition though, capitalism is a sport. My business is doing better than yours. Burger King v. McDonalds.

You could also say that arguing for arguing's sake is a sport. You excel at that one!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 04:49
    Originally posted by MrHand
    Well, I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to jacko11 and referring to a comment that he made about professional wrestling.

Certainly, you can define sport however you want.

By your definition though, capitalism is a sport. My business is doing better than yours. Burger King v. McDonalds.

You could also say that arguing for arguing's sake is a sport. You excel at that one!
    I never said you were responding to me. What I did in fact say was that it's possible to make an argument that pro-wrestling is a sport. Re-read my post a few times until *hopefully* this becomes clear to you.

Also, don't misquote me (or learn what the word "definition" means). I gave no definition for what constitutes a sport. I merely suggested that "it has more to do with the endeavor being of an intensively competitive nature". I did NOT say that ANYTHING of an intensely competitive nature is a sport. Obviously there are other requisite conditions. At least that should be obvious to you.

Simply saying that "Capitalism is a sport" isn't making much of an argument. Perhaps you should learn what it is to debate and argue. It's not just mindlessly making statements.

If you're not capable of addressing my points and at least *trying* to come up with an intelligent and relevant response (I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that), don't bother replying.
  13. Stockholm
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 08:48
    Chess is chess, Zlatan is Zlatan.
  14. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 14:49
    Originally posted by MindWars
    I never said you were responding to me. What I did in fact say was that it's possible to make an argument that pro-wrestling is a sport. Re-read my post a few times until *hopefully* this becomes clear to you.

Also, don't misquote me (or learn what the word "definition" means). I gave no definition for what constitutes a sport. I merely suggested that "i ...[text shortened]... response (I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that), don't bother replying.
    Ok, pro-wrestling is a sport because they need to compete with their theatrical presentation of themselves so they can attract viewers and then get the good scripts from the bosses. I believe that summarizes the argument that you are proposing for the case of pro-wrestling as sport.

I interpret that to be an argument that competition is purely for a business advantage.

The competition you describe has nothing to do with winning a wrestling match on the merits of their physical ability.
  15. Joined
    06 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 15:001 edit
    SPORT
    Date: 15th century
    1 a: a source of diversion : recreation b: sexual play c (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2): a particular activity

By definition it is a sport.
    There is with many sports always an argument. Everybody seems to get athlete and members of a sport confused. People who are involved in many different sports (poker, fishing, etc.) are told "it's not a sport" but what should be said is "You are not an athlete".

Sport
    Athlete
    Competitor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree