1. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 15:08
    Originally posted by MrHand
    Ok, pro-wrestling is a sport because they need to compete with their theatrical presentation of themselves so they can attract viewers and then get the good scripts from the bosses. I believe that summarizes the argument that you are proposing for the case of pro-wrestling as sport.

I interpret that to be an argument that competition is purely for a bus ...[text shortened]... scribe has nothing to do with winning a wrestling match on the merits of their physical ability.
    Are you genuinely this clueless? Or are also engaging in one of those "theatrical presentations" you were referring to?

Re-read my post a few times (or get someone with reading comprehension beyond the level of an elementary school student to read it to you).

1) I never proposed that pro-wrestling was a sport. Saying "you could make an argument" is not the same thing as proposing it as a sport. I was just giving some leeway to a previous poster's suggestion.

2) You can interpret what I said any way you choose. Your subjective interpretation has no objective validity whatsoever.

"The competition you describe has nothing to do with winning a wrestling match on the merits of their physical ability."

What exactly is your point? You're making a statement, but no point. You seem to be harking back to the earlier suggestion that a sport isn't a sport unless there is some degree of physical athleticism, which I do NOT agree with.

And FYI, ALL SPORTS are about the BUSINESS of entertaining fans and promotion. You're probably not a boxing fan, lol, but if you were you'd know that many famous boxers, such as Roy Jones jr, etc, would engage in all sorts of antics in the ring, even at the cost of risking the fight, in order to be more entertaining.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 15:08
    Why definitions?

If we want it to be a sport - it is a sport.
    If we don't want it to be a sport - then it is not a sport.

*We* can make any definition *we* want. Non-chess players doesn't have to agree. *We* decide for ourselves.

*We* play the game, *we* decide whether it is a sport or not.
  3. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 02:01
    if you want to say we all the time then i'll tell you a wee joke. 3 kids were at a park by slide when a genie came along. he told them that if they slide down the slide as their sliding they have to say a wish. the first kid said "to be rich" the second said"to have chocolate" and the third one enjoyed going down the slide so he said WEEEEEEEEEEE
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 02:101 edit
    Originally posted by jacko11
    if you want to say we all the time then i'll tell you a wee joke. 3 kids were at a park by slide when a genie came along. he told them that if they slide down the slide as their sliding they have to say a wish. the first kid said "to be rich" the second said"to have chocolate" and the third one enjoyed going down the slide so he said WEEEEEEEEEEE
    Usually jokes have some sort of punchline. For example, the first said, "I wish I were rich" so the genie made him rich, the second said," I wish I had chocalate" so the genie have him chocolate, and the third having no clue about the genie but thoroughly enjoying the slide said, "WEEEE!!!" so the genie took out a jar, filled it up and gave it to the poor little tyke who then drank it.... Little did he know, it wasn't lemonade.
  5. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 02:23
    Originally posted by MindWars
    Are you genuinely this clueless?
    Yes.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 02:36
    I remember a few years ago a campaign was started in the UK to have chess recognised as a sport. The reason was simple - there was a great big pile of money ready to be awarded to improve British success in sports, and the chess people wanted a part of it!

The trouble was, most chess players didn't really buy into the idea. Although chess is undoubtedly as competative as any physical sport, most of us didn't really consider chess to be a sport and the campaign never really got anywhere.

Who needs government funding anyway.
  7. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 05:45
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Usually jokes have some sort of punchline. For example, the first said, "I wish I were rich" so the genie made him rich, the second said," I wish I had chocalate" so the genie have him chocolate, and the third having no clue about the genie but thoroughly enjoying the slide said, "WEEEE!!!" so the genie took out a jar, filled it up and gave it to the poor little tyke who then drank it.... Little did he know, it wasn't lemonade.
    i couldnt be bothered
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 08:27
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I remember a few years ago a campaign was started in the UK to have chess recognised as a sport. The reason was simple - there was a great big pile of money ready to be awarded to improve British success in sports, and the chess people wanted a part of it!

The trouble was, most chess players didn't really buy into the idea. Although chess is undoubtedly ...[text shortened]... be a sport and the campaign never really got anywhere.

Who needs government funding anyway.
    If chess is a sport, and we want to get money from the natuonal funds, then we start to have big troubles.

What about the doping problems?
    How many cups of coffee do *you* drink during a 2x2h game?
    Are *you* prepared to give a urine sample whenever the anti-doping committé wants to have one?
    Do *you* really want to declare every medicine you take?
    And if *you* fail any test, do *you* accept to be disqualified for every tournament for a period of some years?
    And this even if you're not a very prominent player?

Perhaps we shouldn't urge chess to be a sport after all...
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 08:40
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If chess is a sport, and we want to get money from the natuonal funds, then we start to have big troubles.

What about the doping problems?
    How many cups of coffee do *you* drink during a 2x2h game?
    Are *you* prepared to give a urine sample whenever the anti-doping committé wants to have one?
    Do *you* really want to declare every medicine you take ...[text shortened]... 're not a very prominent player?

Perhaps we shouldn't urge chess to be a sport after all...
    I think it's worth the extra money and media attention to have to put up with a few extra conditions. If you're not doing anything wrong, and not drinking too much coffee, then you have nothing to worry about.
  10. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 11:591 edit
    In German, we use the term "Denksport" (which means something like "thinking sport" ) for activities such as solving mathematical problems, riddles etc. So, I think chess is a "thinking sport".
  11. e4
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 12:081 edit
    Chess is a game. A good game. An addictive game that can bring out the
    best and worst in people. But it's just a game.

I wonder...If chess was classed as an art could players then
    claim copyright on their games as artists can on their work?
    Just a thought.

Interesting to note that the Olympic Committee class Chess as a sport.

I appear to have gone around in a circle.

Chess is a game. A good game...
  12. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 02:07
    Chess is a sport, an art, a science, and a game.
  13. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 01:42
    to some but not to others
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 01:43
    Originally posted by jacko11
    to some but not to others
    Just let the bloody thread die. It's already bloody.
  15. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '08 07:45
    no this thread will never die Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree