1. e4
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 14:22
    Hi Guys.

A lad on the ECF forum has posted this question and it has lay unanswered.
    Most likely because it is populated by some good players who learned most
    of their trade before the net became a big deal.

I was wondering if any of the lads have had net lessons.
    Just answer in this thread. I'll point the lad here.

Cheers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone. I’m thinking of taking chess lessons (one-to-one) online and I was
    just wondering about other people’s experiences of online tuition. To be more precise:

1. Does the fact that it’s online reduce the effectiveness much compared to face-to-face tuition?

2. Regarding the tuition itself, do you (or did you) actually make any progress as a
    chess player, and if so, how did you achieve this (looking through your games,
    working on openings, working on middle game positions&hellip😉? If it didn’t work, why
    not? Did you have to guide your teacher as to your needs or did they have a
    better idea of your needs than you did?

I'm just looking to hear about your experiences of chess tuition in general.
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 15:36
    I worked with a GM for a year via ICC.

I think the answer to the first question is that it has pro's and con's. The pro's are it is easy to record or to keep the notes from everything you look at for later review. The downside is an online coach won't be at the tournaments you are at, they aren't familiar with your local club etc. If your just playing big tournaments or only care about your chess strength more than your results than online is probably fine.

the second question depends on a lot of things.
    1) A good coach should review 5-10 of your recent games to get an idea of your strengths and weaknesses.
    2) If you are new to the game then they should already have some sort of program to develop your game.
    3) if you are already beyond the beginner level you most likely will need very specific training which the coach should identify from having looked at your games.

I think a good coach is the single most effective way to improve your chess, but at the same time very expensive. Likewise, you will periodically reach plateaus in your play that even with a coach you won't break through quickly.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Mar '12 01:14
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I worked with a GM for a year via ICC.

I think the answer to the first question is that it has pro's and con's. The pro's are it is easy to record or to keep the notes from everything you look at for later review. The downside is an online coach won't be at the tournaments you are at, they aren't familiar with your local club etc. If your just playing big ...[text shortened]... ically reach plateaus in your play that even with a coach you won't break through quickly.
    I know GM Ray Robson used online lessons on the way up, but all I remember is his Dad Gary telling me he had mixed results with a variety of trainers- I don't remember him referring to the medium as a plus or a minus, only that he used them.

Ray is big time now, so we don't see him like we used to!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree