1. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 10:45
    Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the correct section for such a request, I have recently moved to Shropshire and it's seems that I am staying put for quite a while so I'd like to find a chess tutor close to me that might be willing to help me with my game, face to face, I feel that it's the best way for me to learn, just my personal preference.

I've been trying for a few months now, searching the Internet, local ads, the ECF website, my local chess club, unfortunately I have been unsuccessful. I live close to Oswestry so I thought that it's at least worth an ask on the site just on the off chance that someone may be able to help.

Many thanks in advance.

Willy..........
  2. e4
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 11:31
    HI Sir,

Check out the official English Chess Site:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/

If you can see nothing post a request in their forum, somebody
    living nearby will contact you.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 19:34
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    HI Sir,

Check out the official English Chess Site:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/

If you can see nothing post a request in their forum, somebody
    living nearby will contact you.
    Hi Greenpawn,

Many thanks for your response, I had looked through the list of coaches on the site but there are none close enough really.

I have posted in the forum to see what happens, many thanks.

Willy.....
  4. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 23:09
    The ECF forum is completely useless, hardly anyone reads it - try posting your message on the English Chess Forum instead:
    http://www.ecforum.org.uk

This forum is completely unaffiliated to the ECF and is very active.
  5. e4
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 00:56
    Try posting in both.

I knew the official site listed coaches.

I've not been back to unofficial site since they changed the layout.
    It's terrible.
  6. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 01:071 edit
    I've not been back to unofficial site since they changed the layout.
    It's terrible.
    I don't think Carl had any choice about the change in layout, my understanding was that it changed when the messageboard software was updated.

As for coaches - here is the ECF's official list:
    http://www.englishchess.org.uk/coaches/ecf-coaches/#coaches

There are many excellent coaches who are not on that list!
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 07:40
    Thanks Greenpawn and Data Fly,

I have posted in both to see if I can locate someone who can help.

I have scoured the list of coaches on the site weekly for the past few months unfortunately there is no one closer than an hour and a half drive, I may just have to do this I feel.

I was hoping to try to find someone Data Fly has mentioned, someone not on the list who lives close. Let's face it at my level I'd just like to be able to play someone who can talk through the game, I've only played once over the board.

Thanks for your replies.

Willy....
  8. e4
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 13:48
    Hi DataFly,

"I don't think Carl had any choice about the change..."

I'm sure they could have kept the old layout. It was perfect.

I tried for 5 minutes to come to grips with it but I was all over the place.
    It is the same uncoordinated mess that the Scottish Forum is in and I
    stopped posting there for the same reason.

Some will be glad I'm not going back because all I did was ruffle feathers
    and poke fun at them. I won't be back.

Is that lad still trying to get his translated copy of Seirawan's book
    published in Iran?
  9. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 14:24
    Good to see some names I remember from when I used to play real-world chess on the ECF forums.

Also this particular gem deserves to be shared. It's in the 'Does anyone know the answer to this?' thread.

"I wonder if members could give their opinions of what would be the correct ruling in this instance. I didn't view this incident but, as captain, was asked to help give a ruling and sort out the commotion. The incident as relayed to me was as follows:-

During a recent match a member of my team pinned his opponents queen to his king with a rook. His opponent then moved his queen (illegally) along a diagonal and announced checkmate. My team member says that he was so surprised and thrown by this that he actually did think that he'd lost, although he says that he did not accept the defeat or shake hands. Instead he picked up the queen to analyse how he'd suddenly lost, moved it back to it's original position, and then realised that it was an illegal move. "You can't do that," he said, "that's an illegal move."
    "You're right," his opponent said, "but you accepted it so I still win."

My team member insisted that he did not accept the win, but his opponent stated that he had because he started to analyse the position and move the pieces.

Eventually they agreed a draw, which both I think felt aggrieved about, my player because he would have probably gone on to win, and his opponent because he said that he did win. Who is right, and what should the correct decision have been?"

Then some discussion of the rules, and then:

"The result is immaterial.

Both players should be counselled that playing chess is, on the evidence, probably not the best use of their remaining time on the planet".

Genius.
  10. e4
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 15:34
    As I understand it, hands have to shake, clocks stopped, score sheets signed
    before an illegal move can be accepted.

But that was probably all mentioned the proceeding discussion.

"Both players should be counselled that playing chess is, on the evidence,
    probably not the best use of their remaining time on the planet".

Is good and the perfect answer.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 20:521 edit
    If you like a challenge Greenpawn, have you ever considered tutoring chess.

In fact what an idea for RHP "chess mentors".

Willy......
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 21:08
    Originally posted by Sirdubalot
    Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the correct section for such a request, I have recently moved to Shropshire and it's seems that I am staying put for quite a while so I'd like to find a chess tutor close to me that might be willing to help me with my game, face to face, I feel that it's the best way for me to learn, just my personal preference.

I'v ...[text shortened]... n the off chance that someone may be able to help.

Many thanks in advance.

Willy..........
    In the event you don't find someone or as well, according to a book I was using the "see inside" thing to read on Amazon all the evidence is that chess is mostly about pattern recognition. A tutor will correct misconceptions, but getting the patterns into your subconscious is something you could do yourself. You could get Silman's endgame book, it's a bit of a brick - but covers all the important aspects and has plenty of exercises. I can't think of a similar thing for the opening/middle game - although for the opening there is a good and cheap book called First Moves - which may be out of print, but does a good job of showing you what you are trying to achieve in that phase.

Also, even if you can't find a tutor you might be able to find a stronger player who doesn't mind playing a game in the pub every now and again and going through it with you at the end in return for beer.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 22:45
    As I understand it, hands have to shake, clocks stopped, score sheets signed
    before an illegal move can be accepted.

But that was probably all mentioned the proceeding discussion.

"Both players should be counselled that playing chess is, on the evidence,
    probably not the best use of their remaining time on the planet".

Is good and the perfect answer.
    Reading the FIDE rules the move was illegal and the game not over (even if the players mistakenly thought that it was) [1]. The rule book doesn't explicitly state what happens if the players make that kind of mistake, so the only sane reading is that it should be impractical to restart the game for the ruling that was made to be made (or for the false result to stand). So I think your interpretation is basically correct.

[1] FIDE rules of chess, relevant sections are 5.1 and 7.
    http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=171&view=article
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 07:50
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    In the event you don't find someone or as well, according to a book I was using the "see inside" thing to read on Amazon all the evidence is that chess is mostly about pattern recognition. A tutor will correct misconceptions, but getting the patterns into your subconscious is something you could do yourself. You could get Silman's endgame book, it's a ...[text shortened]... game in the pub every now and again and going through it with you at the end in return for beer.
    DeepThought,

Many thanks i will have a look for the books, as for your other point I like going to the pub, so I'll put it out there if there is a strong player in the Oswestry area I'll be happy to buy the beer in exchange for some pointers in chess.

Many thanks.

Willy......
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 08:23
    Hi Willy,

I recommend John Nunn's Understanding Chess Move by Move:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Chess-Move-John-Nunn/dp/1901983412

I also recommend a smaller book from Lars Bo Hansen, which is a written version of 4 of his private lessons:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Would-GM-Lars-Hansen/dp/1480171913/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425198142&sr=1-9&keywords=lars+bo+hansen

Hope this helps!

Paul

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree