Chess location

Chess location

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G

Stockholm, Sweden

Moves
05 Jun 07

What would you consider are classical chess towns (i.e. a town with rich chess history/culture)?

Just to name a few places *I* know: Zürich, Hastings, New York, Baden baden

But, what else is there? I do not mean just "any town where a big tournament was played", but something richer than that.

t

Moves
05 Jun 07

Linares and Wijk aan Zee jump out as places whose names would be less familiar to non-chess players and have a history of strong chess tournaments.
As for culture, as you say, a lot of places are famous for certain tournaments (eg Montreal 1979) and for certain chess players (Tal = Riga), but I wouldn't be able to say if there is a rich chess culture present in these places (by rich chess culture I assume you mean things like strong clubs/players based there or very active chess scene - many regular tournaments).
If I were to move to a place solely to play chess the places that spring to mind are London, New York and Moscow.

dsR

Big D

Moves
05 Jun 07

Cleveland, Ohio, USA.

1.Nf3

The Hague

Moves
05 Jun 07

Scheveningen! 10 minutes by bike 😉

F

Moves
05 Jun 07

Reykjavik, Iceleand, 1972

RS

Under ur ChessBoard!

Moves
05 Jun 07

Originally posted by Golub
What would you consider are classical chess towns (i.e. a town with rich chess history/culture)?

But, what else is there? I do not mean just "any town where a big tournament was played", but something richer than that.
the internet city

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
05 Jun 07

Originally posted by davaniel
Scheveningen! 10 minutes by bike 😉
It's quicker by tram.

c

43.733N 79.716W

Moves
05 Jun 07

Originally posted by Golub

MAR DEL PLATA

EP6
Soul Taker

Tionesta

Moves
05 Jun 07

West Hickory. Its the mother lode. Completely untapped. One of the greatest players of all time comes from here. The community invites only the creme de cream and is completely secret. No uninvited players and absolutely no press. Pray that someday you will manage an invite just to watch.

dsR

Big D

Moves
07 Jun 07

Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia.

z

Moves
07 Jun 07
1 edit

Elista 😵

Also Bangkok due to the song One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head.