Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 11 May '07 15:02
    I downloaded CM4000 Turbo, but I'm having interface problems between it and XP. Is there anyone that knows a fix to this problem? I always loved this version of Chess Master, and would really appreciate any help to get it running. Thanks in advance.
  2. 11 May '07 15:28
    What OS was that version of CM supposed to run on? If it was coded for a fat32 system it probably won't run on XP cause XP is an NTFS system
  3. 11 May '07 15:30
    Originally posted by Leaadas
    What OS was that version of CM supposed to run on? If it was coded for a fat32 system it probably won't run on XP cause XP is an NTFS system
    I beleive it was originally built for Windows 3.5 (either that or 95).
    Is there any way to run it through DOS?
  4. 11 May '07 17:29
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    I beleive it was originally built for Windows 3.5 (either that or 95).
    Is there any way to run it through DOS?
    You ight be able to do it with DOsBox (a dos emulator) though the filesystem could still be an issue...
  5. 11 May '07 18:20 / 1 edit
    I downloaded CM4000 Turbo, but I'm having interface problems between it and XP. Is there anyone that knows a fix to this problem? I always loved this version of Chess Master, and would really appreciate any help to get it running. Thanks in advance.
    Get yourself Fritz 10 buddy. Don't download 16-bit mickey mouse apps and try and make them work on 32-bit XP. If you don't wanna get Fritz 10 get a time machine.
  6. Standard member MCA
    TokerSmurf
    11 May '07 18:36
    Originally posted by z00t
    Get yourself Fritz 10 buddy. Don't download 16-bit mickey mouse apps and try and make them work on 32-bit XP. If you don't wanna get Fritz 10 get a time machine.
    either that or at least get a (comparatively) recent copy of CM

I have 9000 and its fine for my (limited) needs.
  7. 11 May '07 20:46
    Originally posted by MCA
    either that or at least get a (comparatively) recent copy of CM

I have 9000 and its fine for my (limited) needs.
    I understand. Guess I have a affinity for nostalgia.
  8. 12 May '07 03:50
    You could try to install it and create a shortcut on the desktop.
    After doing that right click on the shortcut and select properties.
    Then click on the compatibility tab
    click the box in compatibility mode and select windows 95. This will make windows XP act like windows 95. It works pretty good most times and is worth a try.
  9. 12 May '07 04:27
    I understand. Guess I have a affinity for nostalgia.
    there's nothing wrong with that, but it seems strange to use an old chessmaster. How will you keep up with the Fritz cheaters if you're only using CM4000 for your moves?

in all honesty though, Fritz 9 is around $30 (American dollars) I believe so it seems best for those above age 12 (which by terms of service should be everyone)