Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 18 Oct '11 12:50 / 6 edits
    Inspired by Hunterknox, i though it might be interesting to reproduce some lessons
    from Reinfelds chess mastery. The questions are in the annotations and are
    designed as Reinfeld states to help us ask similar questions in our own games. Ill
    produce the answers in a wee minute. The book was published in 1939 and i dont
    know who owns the copyright, nor do i care.


  2. 18 Oct '11 13:45 / 2 edits
    the answers,



    grading

    1-3 , positional werewolf of London, awoooo, calculates every move 20 ply
    4-7, positionally aware, watch out for them weak squares, centralised knights and
    open files
    8-11 - positionally adept, can accumulate small advantages to build an
    overwhelming advantage
    12-13 probably around at Magnus Carlsons housing helping him work on his opening
    repertoire.
  3. 18 Oct '11 13:54 / 1 edit
    Very interesting game. Could you check what you've written for why 16. ... Be8 is bad - 17. Nxe7 Nxe7 18. Nxf6 is not possible.
  4. 18 Oct '11 13:56 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Very interesting game. Could you check what you've written for why 16. ... Be8 is bad - 17. Nxe7 Nxe7 18. Nxf6 is not possible.
    sure thing. but i am translating from descriptive notation, which is not my strong point.
    I think it best if i just write it out verbatim, 16... B-K1 is a bit better, but still
    unsatisfactory in view of 17.KtxBch, KtxKt, 18KtxKtP, does that help any ?
  5. 18 Oct '11 14:01 / 3 edits
    You should try transcribing games from pre-1900 books, that's a real challenge! You have to remember, for example, which is the king's knight as you'll get moves like "kings knight to queens square" when there are knights sitting on b2 and f2. Some chess sets in those days had a mark on one of the knights and rooks so they could be distinguished (e.g. the famous red crown on the original Staunton sets).

    "17.KtxBch, KtxKt, 18KtxKtP, does that help any?" - Yes, 18. KtxKtP is 18. Nxb7, not 18. Nxf6
  6. 18 Oct '11 14:02
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    You should try transcribing games from pre-1900 books, that's a real challenge! You have to remember, for example, which is the king's knight as you'll get moves like "kings knight to queens square" when there are knights sitting on b2 and f2. Some chess sets in those days had a mark on one of the knights and rooks so they could be distinguished (e.g. the famous red crown on the original Staunton sets).
    flip sake, i think id rather go to the dentist 🙂
  7. 18 Oct '11 14:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    You should try transcribing games from pre-1900 books, that's a real challenge! You have to remember, for example, which is the king's knight as you'll get moves like "kings knight to queens square" when there are knights sitting on b2 and f2. Some chess sets in those days had a mark on one of the knights and rooks so they could be distinguished (e.g. the f KtxBch, KtxKt, 18KtxKtP, does that help any?" - Yes, 18. KtxKtP is 18. Nxb7, not 18. Nxf6
    brilliant, thanks ill change it promptly.
  8. Standard member nimzo5
    Ronin
    18 Oct '11 18:16
    Good posts Robbie- Reinfeld wrote several of the first chess books I ever read.
  9. 18 Oct '11 18:35
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Good posts Robbie- Reinfeld wrote several of the first chess books I ever read.
    thanks Nimzo, his writing is particularly clear and lucid, he rejects all kinds of pretentious argon. I find these pre computer chess books to be the best reads, i dont know why, there is just something comforting about leafing through a hardback copy where you can see the printers indentations on the thick paper. If there was any interest in this, i might post the other lessons. It seems Nimzo that you must have got off to a great start, regards Robbie.
  10. Standard member nimzo5
    Ronin
    19 Oct '11 11:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    thanks Nimzo, his writing is particularly clear and lucid, he rejects all kinds of pretentious argon. I find these pre computer chess books to be the best reads, i dont know why, there is just something comforting about leafing through a hardback copy where you can see the printers indentations on the thick paper. If there was any interest in this, ...[text shortened]... the other lessons. It seems Nimzo that you must have got off to a great start, regards Robbie.
    I think if you dig around you will find a Reinfeld was a lot of players first book. Now if only they were in algebraic... descriptive gives me a headache.
  11. 19 Oct '11 15:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I think if you dig around you will find a Reinfeld was a lot of players first book. Now if only they were in algebraic... descriptive gives me a headache.
    you would think a guy with a name like Nimzo might be inclined towards the Nimzio-
    Larsen attack beginning with 1.b3, but noooooo 😛
  12. 19 Oct '11 16:12
    Chernev on Reinfeld.

    "I thought I was the only one who saw that The Human Side of Chess was
    written with venom. But then, Reinfeld hated impartially!

    He hated Morphy, Alekhine, and Capablanca most of all. He hated all chess
    players - except those who bought his books. Those he despised!"

    Taken from a letter written by Irving Chernev to Edward Winter in 1977.

    Poor old Fred gets a bashing from EW here. (right down the bottom).

    http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter35.html
  13. 19 Oct '11 16:44
    Here's a game I transcribed today:


    Originally from http://tinyurl.com/65z9f2o

    I'll add it to chessgames.com later tonight when I sort the names out properly.
  14. 19 Oct '11 22:22 / 1 edit
    chess from a bygone era of romanticism, before the queens pawn became
    fashionable. There must a whole host of excellent descriptive games and books that
    would be of real interest if reproduced and transcribed.
  15. Standard member nimzo5
    Ronin
    20 Oct '11 01:59
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you would think a guy with a name like Nimzo might be inclined towards the Nimzio-
    Larsen attack beginning with 1.b3, but noooooo 😛
    Ha, well I was more a fan of Nimzo jumping up on top of a table and yelling "I lost to this idiot???" It was only coincidence that I started playing the Nimzo-Indian some years later.