Chess not tapping into Open Source?

Chess not tapping into Open Source?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Moves
17 Feb 07

Why is chess not tapping into open source? In the same way that Apache or Linux has used open source to develop, why has chess not made use of Open Source? GNUChess and SCID take about 5 years to produce a version, and when they do its not World Class.

d

1. e4!!

Moves
17 Feb 07

Well scid has been replaced with ChessDB and is now being actively developed. Crafty if I remember correctly is open source. There are also a few others as well.

S

Moves
17 Feb 07

I think because p2p file sharing is so commonplace for software as well as music & video.
Why d/l something as freeware if you can get a top quality product also for free?
It may be morally wrong but it doesn't stop a hell of a lot of people from doing it.

z

Moves
18 Feb 07

Crafty would not be considered to be Open Source, perhaps freeware. Open Source is something like Firefox which uses contributed code and ideas from the community to challenge world class/proprietary browsers.

If programmers/developers would mobilise and contribute code/ideas, open source chess programs would beat all efforts. How many ideas in crafty have come from the chess community?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
18 Feb 07

Originally posted by z00t
Crafty would not be considered to be Open Source, perhaps freeware. Open Source is something like Firefox which uses contributed code and ideas from the community to challenge world class/proprietary browsers.

If programmers/developers would mobilise and contribute code/ideas, open source chess programs would beat all efforts. How many ideas in crafty have come from the chess community?
ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/source

Looks like the source is open to me.

z

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/source

Looks like the source is open to me.
How many ideas in crafty have come from the chess community? Open Source in crafty's case means that wannabe-programmers take a peak at Prof Hyatt's baby.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
23 Feb 07

Originally posted by z00t
How many ideas in crafty have come from the chess community? Open Source in crafty's case means that wannabe-programmers take a peak at Prof Hyatt's baby.
Try here instead:

http://www.craftychess.com/

There is a statement to the effect that Crafty is open source and has a small team currently developing it. So that would be input from some sort of community. I don't think you can say it is not open source just because the world and his wife are not actively involved.