1. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 20:07
    any how against the two knights defence I do e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 Bc4 Nf6 d3 Bc5 Bb4 and do the Canal attack. 😀
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 20:25
    The "Starting Out" series are all good, at least the ones I've seen. They aren't intended to be complete treatises on any opening, but guides for the beginner to decide what may or may not be suitable to their style.

Opening study is highly overdone and overrated. Over the board, in class play, "best book lines" are almost never played past three to five ply. A lot of good players go with inferior stuff, just to get a booked up guy off his game. A huge percentage of tournament games are won or lost in the tactical complications of the middlegame.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 20:48
    The problem with investing a lot of time on 3. Bc5 is that if you get to play it 10% of the time you're quite lucky, and then half may choose two knights.

Playing 3. Bb5 is worse yet. So many variations, so much theory. All that can be avoided by substituting 2. f4 for 2. Nf3.

Another solid choice on move three is d4. The Scotch game yields equality pretty quickly, but is lively tactically on both sides, and offers gambiteers after 3....exd4 4. c3 as an option.

Building a suitable opening repitoire may be one of the areas in which a coach or tutor is most useful. Such a person will be able to objectively evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, something most people can't do on their own reliably.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 21:42
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The problem with investing a lot of time on 3. Bc5 is that if you get to play it 10% of the time you're quite lucky, and then half may choose two knights.

Playing 3. Bb5 is worse yet. So many variations, so much theory. All that can be avoided by substituting 2. f4 for 2. Nf3.

Another solid choice on move three is d4. The Scotch game yields equ ...[text shortened]... evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, something most people can't do on their own reliably.
    I like your suggestion of 2.f4 - wins every time.
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 21:53
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I like your suggestion of 2.f4 - wins every time.
    prove it
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 22:01
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    prove it
    Ask my opponents that play 1...e5. 😀
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '06 00:501 edit
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Ask my opponents that play 1...e5. 😀
    i'll take that challenge

and many of those games put you up against people that don't quite know what they're doing (eg. 2.d6?! or 2. exf4 Nf3 3. d5 exd5 4. Qxd5?!)
  8. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '06 02:13
    ya and the Giuco Piano is a forced win almost not like the KG because black gets a even position in the Flakbeer counter gambit with 2.d5😀🙄😴

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree