"chess openings" books.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
Orc slayer

Gondor

Moves
20 Oct 06

Does anybody know of a good chess opening book? for intermedate to advanced players.

Moves
20 Oct 06

I suggest you say which openings you want to learn or style you want to play in might help narrow down the choice a little.

If you want really advanced then get an NCO although at USCF 1545 I doubt it will help you much.

k

washington

Moves
20 Oct 06

at 1500 you have openings that you like look up a book on a specific opening and you could just get that. i think specific books are better than opening books because they go in depth.

cg

Seattle

Moves
20 Oct 06

I am currently LOVING the Starting Out: The Dutch Defence by Neil McDonald

Y

Moves
20 Oct 06

I can't stand the "Starting Out" series (especially the one on the Ruy Lopez, there's no way you're going to fit such a strategically rich opening into 144 pages)

start with the type of game that you like: tactical or positional and work off of that

T

Moves
20 Oct 06

My favourite books are games collections - good for opening and middlegame play

🙂

j

Moves
20 Oct 06

ok I know all the varitions of the dutch expecially the stonewall.
I suggest the Giuco Piano e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 Bc4 Bc5 c3 Nf6 d4 exd4 e5! d4 Bb5 even position.But after the first three moves though if black does anything else he is asking for trouble. 😀

r
Orc slayer

Gondor

Moves
20 Oct 06
1 edit

I have my openings pretty much picked out, I mean like a refrence book, one where I could check out all my favorite openings and maybe the main idea of the opening. I have seen NCO, I borrowed it from a friend last year, he lost it though, so now I'm wondering if I should buy NCO or MCO? I have ALOt of opening so just getting a book on a cretain opening would mean a lot of books.

C

Moves
20 Oct 06

I'm new to learning and trying to improve in chess.
I just got this book, and just started it, it's worth a look!
"Improve Your Opening Play - Chris Ward"

m

Moves
20 Oct 06

Originally posted by rotk
I have my openings pretty much picked out, I mean like a refrence book, one where I could check out all my favorite openings and maybe the main idea of the opening. I have seen NCO, I borrowed it from a friend last year, he lost it though, so now I'm wondering if I should buy NCO or MCO? I have ALOt of opening so just getting a book on a cretain opening would mean a lot of books.
I found NCO to be cumbersome to use because I don't like the column layout. MCO is more user friendly for me but that could be just because it's what I'm used to. As for actual material, I think it's a toss up.

c

USA

Moves
20 Oct 06

If you don't know what opening you are going to do, and you are intermediate to advanced, I strongly recommend Chess Openings for White, Explained and Chess Openings for Black, Explained. It's a bit to complex for me, but has got great reviews, and from what I have seen, they are good books.

FL

over there

Moves
20 Oct 06

I suggest just using a database. The one at shredderchess.com is good.

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
20 Oct 06

Ideas Behind Chess Openings by Fine very good, but a little dated. For players less than master strenght it's Fine!

Moves
21 Oct 06

Originally posted by masscat
I found NCO to be cumbersome to use because I don't like the column layout. MCO is more user friendly for me but that could be just because it's what I'm used to. As for actual material, I think it's a toss up.
Because of the openings I play I found both to be worthless. The only times I use them is went consulting main line sicilians.....even then they arent much help since they dont give the ideas or plans behind the moves.

Y

Moves
21 Oct 06

The problem with learning Piano is that you have to also learn the Two Knight's Defense...