Chess Pamplets

Chess Pamplets

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
01 Oct 08
1 edit

Where have all the little chess pamplets gone? When I started playing, these little pamplets of gambits and little known variations were very popular. They would be little opening manuals (around 50 pages) with obscure analysis by uncommon authors. I don't think I've seen a new one in quite some time though. Have computers done in with this "home" analysis content? Even if I knew the analysis was unsound, I would still buy them. They always interested me. Maybe, the end of Chess Digest had something to do with their decline. Just so you younger guys know what I'm talking about, I'll name some.

Winning With The Elephant Gambit By Jonathan Rogers
34 pages devoted to a black system with 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d5 (and Bd6)
I really enjoyed playing through that pamplet.

Elephant Gambit By Jensen, Purser, & Pape
83 pages devoted to 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d5
Generally unsound but fun to play through. Very dangerous for unprepared players over the board.

The Papa Gambit VS The French Defense By NM Mike Papa Jr.
39 big pages devoted to 1. e4 e6 2. b3
Many of the authors own games are included.
Also includes 2. b3 vs Sicilian and Caro-Kann

The Marshall Gambit In The French And Sicilian Defenses
By Kennedy And Sheffield
68 pages 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 c5 and 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 d5

The Winger! Sicilian Wing Gambit By NM Craig Stauffer
31 pages 1. e4 c5 2. b4

Latvian Gambit Made Easy By Grivainis & Elburg
38 page repertoire book on 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 f5

New Developments In The Latvian Gambit By Grivainis & Elburg
80 pages with new games from LGME above.

Marshall Attack Made Easy By Elburg
42 page repertoire book on The Marshall Gambit in the Ruy Lopez

The Blackmar-Diebert Gambit By NM Charles Diebert
A collection of a master's games with the Blackmar-Diemer.
52 big pages including a win over Joel Benjamin

Hubsch Gambit By Pape, Jensen, And Burk
40 pages on 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e4 Nxe4 !?

I'll name a few more.

p

Moves
01 Oct 08

Here's a few more of the small pamplets/books.

The Tactical Grob By Claude Bloodgood
51 pages on 1. g4
A very interesting book.

Remember The Mac Cutcheon By James Eade
86 pages on the author's personal experiences/analysis of 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Bb4 !? A main line opening with some games/explanations by a NM who uses it exclusively.

Nimzovich Attack The Norfolk Gambits By Claude Bloodgood
99 pages on 1. Nf3 d5 2. b3 c5 3. e4 and 2. ... Nf6 3. Bb2 c5 4. e4 ?!

The Anti-Dutch Spike By NM Alan Watson
112 pages on g4 gambits in the Dutch Defense

The Real American Wilkes-Barre By Kenneth Williams
58 pages on 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5 Bc5
Pre-computer analysis. The lines are a real thrill to play through.

The Futuristic Chess Opening By Santasiere
43 pages on 1. Nf3 d5 2. b4 Games and analysis.

A Modern Approach To Bird's Opening By Picket
28 pages on Bird's Opening for White . I paid $1

Trends Pamplets ... Little 42 page game collections in openings.
For example, Trends in The Smith Morra Gambit Vol 2 By Regan & Lalic
100 games of modern practice on 38 pages

The Myers Openings Bulletin
A nice little magazine/pamplet that used to come out regularly.
It included history of openings, unorthodox opening analysis, book reviews, and many more entertaining things.

Blackmar-Diemer Gambit World Magazine
Interesting magazines/pamplets with analysis and reader's games.

Chess Hammers By ChessCo (Thinker's Press)
Little printed papers on rare/unusual variations.
Only about 3-4 pages each.
An example
Scholar's Mate Attack: What They Didn't Teach You In School
By Tim Sawyer 1.e4 e5 2. Qh5 ! ... more entertainment than educational. 🙂

Where have all these fun little pamplets gone. What happened to them? It seems like nowadays opening books are just database games printed out.

Where did they go?
I want to know.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
01 Oct 08

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics

51 pages on 1. g4
A very interesting book.

86 pages on the author's personal experiences/analysis of 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Bb4 !? A main line opening with some games/explanations by a NM who uses ...[text shortened]... ening books are just database games printed out.

Where did they go?
I want to know.
They are devoured by the silicon monsters that they anihillated the wooden chessmen;
😞

z

Moves
01 Oct 08

I still have my dog-eared copy of The Najdorf Sicilian Poisoned Pawn Variation by T.D. Harding & R.G. Wade. I learned descriptive notation from it.

p

Moves
01 Oct 08

Originally posted by zebano
I still have my dog-eared copy of The Najdorf Sicilian Poisoned Pawn Variation by T.D. Harding & R.G. Wade. I learned descriptive notation from it.
My MCO-14 is in about 100 different sections. I just take the section I want to read out and leave the rest in the other room. 🙂

p

Moves
01 Oct 08

Someone starting to play today wouldn't believe chess books were as low as $1. Chess Digest used to not only have $1 books, they also gave free books with bonus dollars. Every $50 purchase also got you a free trends booklet. Nowadays, I think every book is at least $19.95.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
01 Oct 08

Where have all the little chess pamplets gone? When I started playing, these little pamplets of gambits and little known variations were very popular. They would be little opening manuals (around 50 pages) with obscure analysis by uncommon authors. I don't think I've seen a new one in quite some time though. Have computers done in with this "h ...[text shortened]... e, Jensen, And Burk
40 pages on 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e4 Nxe4 !?

I'll name a few more.
I suspect they have vanished because much of this information is now available online, and because of this, demand for the hard copy pamphlets has dried up.

g

Moves
01 Oct 08

51 pages on 1. g4
A very interesting book.

86 pages on the author's personal experiences/analysis of 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Bb4 !? A main line opening with some games/explanations by a NM who uses ...[text shortened]... ening books are just database games printed out.

Where did they go?
I want to know.
I actually have at least three of the booklets that you listed, including Futuristic Chess Opening: Santasiere's Folly. (BTW, Santasiere was gay🙂)

FL

Moves
01 Oct 08

I still see quite a lot of booklets in the bookstalls in the UK, especially those aimed at younger players. I was never a big fan of them myself as they were predominantly about very specific opening lines. However I have a few which I bought twenty or so years ago which are sitting in my attic. Two are about the Wing Gambit (one has a picture of a cannon on the front!) and I have at least one on the Traxler.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
02 Oct 08

"Leningrad Dutch, with 7.d5" by Wulebgr is available free at http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/PDF/LeninDutch.pdf

Best to deny cookies to angelfire unless you want to scour your hard drive. I rarely maintain that free site any more because angelfire and its parent lycos have let their advertisers run amok.

g

Moves
02 Oct 08

A few years ago Edward Labate purchased the entire remaining Chess Digest stock. Many, if not most, of those pamphlets are available at http://www.labatechess.com.

p

Moves
02 Oct 08

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
A few years ago Edward Labate purchased the entire remaining Chess Digest stock. Many, if not most, of those pamphlets are available at http://www.labatechess.com.
I've done business with him. They are all dated now. I wanted someone to publish some NEW ones. 🙂

p

Moves
02 Oct 08
4 edits

I've done business with him. They are all dated now. I wanted someone to publish some NEW ones. 🙂
I have all of the ones I named. 🙂

Places to buy chess books
chessco.com
labatechess.com
amazon.com
ebay.com !!!
abebooks.com
doverbooks.com ? dover publishers site ... sometimes great sales
? chesshouse.com ? been a while

or if you have no regard for money ... barnes & nobles / borders
you always pay retail there.