1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 07:04
    I guess the two would sort of meld into the same playing style. Those sort of players are notorious for letting themselves be attacked, and coming back later if you overstretch yourself.
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 11:48
    Looks like I`m Disruptor.
  3. Joined
    18 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 18:49
    I think I come under the 'Completely useless, takes what he can get' sub type...
  4. 19th hole
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 19:04
    I fall under the moron I think

moron- one who makes random blunders and constantly loses won positions 😞
  5. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 19:22
    "The optimist"

Will start the game with early attacks like fools mate or scholars mate, then will abandon positional or tactical play to lay traps in the hope that their opponent will fall for them, this method quickly gets destroyed once it is clear that the opponent is not taking the bait and has now a better position and better development, the traps become less and less leaving the optimist in a dire situation having gambled the whole game on traps.

Against gullable players the trapper will most likely dominate quickly.

My own style.....

"The Pig"

Plays the same openings despite not really being sound, stubbornly makes the same moves that has lost him many games previously in the hopes of "it getting better", occasional flashes of brilliance followed by aggresively initiating an exchange only to realise half way through that he will end up a rook down,.... still stubbornly continues with the exchange as if to fool the opponent into thinking that being a rook up is infact a bad mistake due to a cunning and obscure trap by "the pig" that will eventually garauntee victory.
    Defeat follows quickly for the pig when he realizes that his cunning brilliant rook sacrifice plan sadly does not actually exist.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 20:21
    Originally posted by Pigface1
    "The optimist"

Will start the game with early attacks like fools mate or scholars mate, then will abandon positional or tactical play to lay traps in the hope that their opponent will fall for them, this method quickly gets destroyed once it is clear that the opponent is not taking the bait and has now a better position and better development, the traps ...[text shortened]... e realizes that his cunning brilliant rook sacrifice plan sadly does not actually exist.
    thats a Tom rec for you 😀
  7. Big D
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 18:19
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I was thinking to myself, what are the different playing styles and what characterises them? Most would say there is just two styles - tactical and positional but I have come to the conclusion that there are, in fact, distinct sub groups which I will list here but would like anybody who thinks they know something I have missed to add to this topic. ...[text shortened]... are usually good defenders, but they tend to break down once the position becomes unbalanced.
    Are you related to Hans Kmoch?
  8. Joined
    21 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 02:051 edit
    I think this would be of interest. It lists the style of play of the World Champions and you might adopt one which appeals to your liking and build an opening repertoire suited to your style.

Edit: Oops. Here's the address:

http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/style.html
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 08:24
    I just finished reading that. It's interesting, thanks.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 09:204 edits
    Originally posted by Papyn Chase
    I think this would be of interest. It lists the style of play of the World Champions and you might adopt one which appeals to your liking and build an opening repertoire suited to your style.

Edit: Oops. Here's the address:

http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/style.html
    here's another interesting link too, Vladimir Kramnik analyses and compares the styles of super grandmasters beginning from Steinitz to Kasparov.

http://www.kramnik.com/eng/interviews/getinterview.aspx?id=61

and I'd like to discuss what Weyerstrass' style is. I've been looking at some games from him, and it seems he always opens with 1.c4 with white, and plays the french against e4, ...c4 against the english and ...e6 against d4 as black. he has a very narrow and solid opening repertuare.

he again, almost always plays b6 with black, either fianchettoing the queen bishop or moving it to h6 to exchange with white's kingside bishop; almost always plays ...Bb4 to exchange with white's c3 knight too. he doesn't care much about the bishop pair. he most of the time prefers d7 or e7 for the knights instead of f6 or c6, (and e2 and d2 with white), he doesn't like to push pawns a lot, and his games are almost always closed, quiet and positional.

I'd like to hear some description of his style from strong players. it's obviously very different and unconventional, and he hasn't lost one single game yet! it's just amazing.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 10:20
    The intuition relyer: The one who always rely on his first thought. "If it feels good at first, it also is a good move (until otherwise demonstrated)" is his motto. He doesn't believe in theory, never reads books, he likes playing blitz, always impatient, never follow any opening, never thinks ahead in a number of moves. When he wins he says that he has skills, when he loses he says he was unlycky.
  12. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 12:34
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    [b]The intuition relyer: The one who always rely on his first thought. "If it feels good at first, it also is a good move (until otherwise demonstrated)" is his motto. He doesn't believe in theory, never reads books, he likes playing blitz, always impatient, never follow any opening, never thinks ahead in a number of moves. When he wins he says that he has skills, when he loses he says he was unlycky.[/b]
    good one...and the funny thing is that I very often had problems against such a player...as he also forces you to play faster...I ended up having some strategic problems, but in the end I tricked him with a small tactical shot...as you said he plays natural moves all the time and he does not calculate more than 2-3 moves deep...
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 12:52
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    Are you related to Hans Kmoch?
    Why do you ask?

D
  14. Big D
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 14:48
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Why do you ask?

D
    Kmoch, in his classic "Pawn Power in Chess," also felt the need to come up with his own nomenclature.
  15. Standard memberfennyin
    Crack Suicide Squad
    Ellicott City, MD
    Moves
    18 Dec '07 20:04
    I think I'm either a Blocker or a Grinder. I can't quite tell.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree