1. Joined
    16 Apr '08
    Moves
    03 May '23 02:32
    My average rating on RHP is between 1600-1700. It has been pretty consistent for the last little while. I don't play OTB chess, so I don't know what my rating would be there.
    However, I do play blitz chess (3 minute or 5 minute games) on another site. My rating in blitz always hovers around 1000. I cannot seem to improve and often lose to players rated below 1000. It can get quite discouraging, as I feel I should be doing better in blitz games.
    I don't understand the discrepancy in ratings. Although I prefer slow chess and I love to analyze my positions, I feel I should be doing better in fast games. I'm not a great player, but I think I'm better than 900.
    Are the skill sets required for 5 minute games that much different than correspondence chess?
  2. e4
    Moves
    03 May '23 08:523 edits
    Hi Jakal,

Blitz is practically a different game from correspondence and OTB chess.
    This is why people hate the tie breaks to decide a world championship so much.
    Rapids is accepted by most, Blitz viewed as a bit of a lottery even amongst the top dogs.

It comes down to speed of thought, a very quick tactical eye, fast judgements
    of coming position. (is the ending good, bad, won, lost...and based on years
    of OTB play the player makes a call 'My Chess Title on Red 19' and spins the
    wheel.
    (I had to google 'Roulette Wheel' there to make sure that 19 was a red square.)

The strong OTB players are good at blitz because they have a head full of
    patterns they can quickly recall. A few players not in the top dog bracket
    figure well in blitz tournaments. A gifted quick eye spotting things which
    given time their opponents in a 'real chess game' would also see, but
    they do not have the time.

On the other end there is Caruana. A great player but for a while had a very
    poor record at blitz (he has worked on it via training matches because blitz
    is now a common tie breaker) The reason why (in my reckoning) is because
    Caruana must have a set of rules he has used all his career for normal chess
    before making a move.

A set routine, are there any checks, any loose pieces, does this pawn move
    weaken a critical square, etc etc... a pre-move routine which he has down to
    fine art . Of course this cannot be done during blitz.

I would not worry about it too much, I know loads of good players who are
    not too good at blitz, some do not even play it. And visa-versa. Good blitz
    players who never feature amongst the prizes in normal chess tournaments.

Of course on Red Hot Pawn a lot of players are in blitz mode all the time.

Game 15160985 phileasfogg - Jakal RHP 2023

White played 10.Bh6 overloading their Queen who now has to cover h6 and c2.

Black played 10...Bxh6 and then11...Nc2+ 0-1.

But I hope you looked at 10...Nxe4 with Qh4+ and Bxh6 coming and
    not to worry about g2-g3 because that d4 Knight can play Nxf3+
  3. Joined
    16 Apr '08
    Moves
    03 May '23 22:32
    That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for taking the time to reply with such a complete and thorough answer. It's greatly appreciated.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree