1. Standard memberWoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    Los Gatos, CA
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 19:25
    Thought I had the rules of chess mastered quite some time back, but now I'm wondering:

If I have an opponent's piece pinned on their king, is it legal to move my king into an attack from that piece? It's not really moving into check since that piece cannot capture my king -- they have to remove the pin first.

Is moving my king into an attack by a pinned piece legal?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 19:312 edits
    Originally posted by WoodPush
    Thought I had the rules of chess mastered quite some time back, but now I'm wondering:

If I have an opponent's piece pinned on their king, is it legal to move my king into an attack from that piece? It's not really moving into check since that piece cannot capture my king -- they have to remove the pin first.

It is a legal move as long as you are not moving into check or through check,
    as may happen in castling.

P.S. If the game is one you are playing on RHP. You will not be able to make
    an illegal move. So if you want to make that move go ahead and try it.
  3. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 19:36

No!

Reasoning: if he captures,though his piece is pinned to his king,your king would die first so you lose.
  4. In attack
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 20:26

The post above is right, you can't move your king into check regardless of the situation the checking piece is in.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree