1. Subscriberscoop122
    scoop122
    Southport
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 13:51
    i am thinking of treating myself.
    is £100 too much for a decent set?
    any favourites or bargains you have had?
  2. Joined
    12 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 14:55
    I bought myself a set around 2 years ago from bcmchess got it for just under £100. You can check out their sets below

http://www.bcmchess.co.uk/wooden.html

I was willing to spend £100 on it mainly because it's something that I thought would last a lifetime. I'm not an otb player I just bought it as something to have if the opportunity to play came about. Of course you can spend a whole lot more but I think £100 for a decent wood set is fine and with good care it'll last a lifetime.
  3. Canukistan
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 15:07
    The House of Staunton regularly auctions the sets on Ebay. Last year I was able to purchase an ebonized Royale series set for about $60 US, which is a little more than half of what they were listing for at the time. If you don't mind the uncertainties of an auction or shipping in from the US you might find a similar deal. You'll probably have to purchase a board separately. I got mine locally.
  4. Subscriberscoop122
    scoop122
    Southport
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 15:13
    Originally posted by Audacious
    I bought myself a set around 2 years ago from bcmchess got it for just under £100. You can check out their sets below

http://www.bcmchess.co.uk/wooden.html

I was willing to spend £100 on it mainly because it's something that I thought would last a lifetime. I'm not an otb player I just bought it as something to have if the opportunity to play came a ...[text shortened]... more but I think £100 for a decent wood set is fine and with good care it'll last a lifetime.
    cheers mate
  5. Subscriberscoop122
    scoop122
    Southport
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 15:14
    Originally posted by Skorj
    The House of Staunton regularly auctions the sets on Ebay. Last year I was able to purchase an ebonized Royale series set for about $60 US, which is a little more than half of what they were listing for at the time. If you don't mind the uncertainties of an auction or shipping in from the US you might find a similar deal. You'll probably have to purchase a board separately. I got mine locally.
    will ask our kid to try for me
    thanks for the tip
  6. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 15:17
    I got one on ebay for 99p from china - the catch is you pay 40 pounds shipping cost..... But when i got the set is was amazing and was an antique made ivory with a beautiful wood board with dragons and other amazing patterns on it.

So it would have cost well over a hundred pounds to get it in the UK - but the choice is yours but for me it was well worth paying the extra postage.
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 15:22
    Word of warning when buying overseas if you live in the UK as well - You will end up paying Tax from customs once the goods arrive in the UK - So what you have to do is play them at their own game and ask the seller to mark the item as a gift with a low value - say under 20 pounds. Then you will find you get your bargin tax free minus any customs hassles😉
  8. Subscriberscoop122
    scoop122
    Southport
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 15:29
    Originally posted by greenphantom
    Word of warning when buying overseas if you live in the UK as well - You will end up paying Tax from customs once the goods arrive in the UK - So what you have to do is play them at their own game and ask the seller to mark the item as a gift with a low value - say under 20 pounds. Then you will find you get your bargin tax free minus any customs hassles😉
    worth a try mate
    cheers😀
  9. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 15:38
    You can get a Staunton rosewood set for $212.00 U.S. And the Ebonized set for $169.00. Not sure what the conversion is, but they are beautiful.
  10. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 15:46
    It's all about getting a nice chess set on the cheap lol
  11. Canukistan
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 16:47
    Originally posted by greenphantom
    I got one on ebay for 99p from china - the catch is you pay 40 pounds shipping cost..... But when i got the set is was amazing and was an antique made ivory with a beautiful wood board with dragons and other amazing patterns on it.

So it would have cost well over a hundred pounds to get it in the UK - but the choice is yours but for me it was well worth paying the extra postage.
    The "rare antique ivory" sets from China are not a rip-off as long as you are wise to the fact that they are making their profit by overcharging for shipping rather than the purchase price. A further word of warning however- they are neither rare nor antique nor ivory. They are modern and mass produced as evidenced by the fact that at any given time you will find half a dozen or more identical sets being auctioned. If they were genuine ivory you would at best have a nightmare of red tape to go through before being allowed to import them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree