1. Standard memberWestside Mobster
    The King of Detroit
    The Jungle
    Moves
    22 May '09 18:22
    I find myself playing better against stronger players and worse against weaker players!

I'll receive any comments on this phenomenon.
  2. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 May '09 19:00
    Originally posted by Westside Mobster
    I find myself playing better against stronger players and worse against weaker players!

Maybe you expect a tough game & concentrate more?

Perhaps you try cheap tricks against much lower rateds, but play soundly against higher rated players.

Higher rated players may use openings books and/or databases. If you decide to do likewise, the quality of play will probably be much higher if these resources are used properly.
  3. Standard memberWestside Mobster
    The King of Detroit
    The Jungle
    Moves
    22 May '09 19:35
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Maybe you expect a tough game & concentrate more?

Perhaps you try cheap tricks against much lower rateds, but play soundly against higher rated players.

Higher rated players may use openings books and/or databases. If you decide to do likewise, the quality of play will probably be much higher if these resources are used properly.
    I agree! Except I don't try cheap tricks against lower rated players. I always TRY to play soundly,
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    22 May '09 20:17
    I agree! Except I don't try cheap tricks against lower rated players. I always TRY to play soundly,
    I think perhaps what's happening is you're used to playing against sound, conventional fundamentals. But lower rated players throw out the unexpected [but less sound] play and you don't quite know how to exploit it.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 May '09 20:331 edit

One of the toughest games I have played on RHP was against a player who played so unconventionally that it drove me insane. Had he thrown a play my way earlier than he did he would have had me in real trouble, but he waited and made silly pawn moves instead. Not too PC saavy, so I can't do a PGN of the game but if you want to look at it it is my game 5953758. I think we tend to not know what to do when odd plays are thrown our way. In fact I also believe one tends to lower one's guard against the weaker player or play more unsoundly because subconciously perhaps we believe we can pull off a come from behind win should we fall behind and undersetimate opponent. Makes for interesting games so I don't complain.
  6. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 May '09 20:40
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    One of the toughest games I have played on RHP was against a player who played so unconventionally that it drove me insane. Had he thrown a play my way earlier than he did he would have had me in real trouble, but he waited and made silly pawn moves instead. Not too PC saavy, so I can't do a PGN of the game but if you want to look at it it is my game 5953758...
  7. e4
    Moves
    22 May '09 21:272 edits
    Hi - White missed a few chances for a quicker wrap.

Black should have tried the stalemate trick, it would have given
    White a fright. In this position White played Ne7 and he was lucky
    that he could stop the perpetual with a mate.

Would have been a nice way to end it though.
    Note White can never take the Rook with the Queen or King.

Edit 1: if 6...Rh4+ King can get to f5 when Queen can take Rook.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    22 May '09 21:37
    greenpawn34, you have an amazing eye.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 May '09 21:372 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi - White missed a few chances for a quicker wrap.

Black should have tried the stalemate trick, it would have given
    White a fright. In this position White played Ne7 and he was lucky
    that he could stop the perpetual with a mate.

Would have been a nice way to end it though.
    Note White can never take the Rook with the Queen or King.

[pgn]
    [FE . Kh5 Rg5+ 7. Nxg5[/pgn]

Edit 1: if 6...Rh4+ King can get to f5 when Queen can take Rook.
    I was hyperaware of the stalemate potential so I played cautiously at the end. The point in highlighting this game is how very frustrating playing someone who appears to play more for complications can be. I agree there were many earlier chances for traps, ect, but frustration sets in. Also, black slowed down play so much I was ready to set myself on fire and made some mistakes black failed to exploit.
  10. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    22 May '09 21:50

I agree w/ the other posters. I know w/myself a couple of weeks ago I lost to a opponent in two games back to back and I was ranked several hundred points higher . I was livid w/ myself for taking the games lightly to start out with. I know better then this. Low ranked players can still play but,they are either streaky,unorthodox,or just get alot of time outs. Or, all of the above. I do my best to play as soundly as possible despite their rank. If they do some outrageous stuff and throw the book out the window,just slow down look at all their possibilities real hard then find the best way to make them pay for their erratic play. A good book for every conceivable unorthodox opening is ; Unorthodox Chess Openings by Eric Schiller
  11. e4
    Moves
    22 May '09 22:011 edit
    It's just a trained eye.

I'm sure if Swiss Gambit or Heinzcat had seen the game they
    would have spotted the shot instantly.

It's the Knights on e7 and f7 that did it. Problem and study solvers
    have a back pocket full of these patterns so sometimes you
    can just tell by looking at certain positions that there is something
    like this on.

I think you nailed the OP's question.

Without looking at any games this may well be the case.

He could be level v a weaker opponent but fall for a two move trap.

(not cheap trick - moving a pawn from h5-h7 is a cheap trick).

Yet v a player well versed in the game he could be postionally
    lost after 8 moves and although the game lasted over 40 moves
    he never really had a chance from move 8. Well put.

Hi scacchipazzo

I got the impression you were aware of the stalemate but I wanted
    to show it 'cos it's nice and inctructive.

You did most things OK in that game. It's annoying the Rook
    holding a Queen and two Knights at bay. I'm now off to compose
    a wee study just based on that theme - see if I can knocked
    together a Queen sac Knight mate.

Cheers.
  12. Standard memberWestside Mobster
    The King of Detroit
    The Jungle
    Moves
    23 May '09 00:46
    Thanks for all the input! What I am going to do now is analize my losses from stronger opponents and see where I goofed. If I find something interesting I'll post it. Cheers!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree