1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 18:47
    Originally posted by flexmore
    When you make a move in go you have more choices to choose from than in chess, because in go you can just plonk it down almost anywhere. In chess the piece has to move from its current location.

But this does not mean there are more possible positions of the board.

Each "square" on a go board can only be three things: white / black / empty.

Each ...[text shortened]... n / horse / bishop / rook / queen / king / Black pawn / horse / bishop / queen / king / empty.
    The game tree in Go has about 10 to the 750th power of possibilities," Wunsch explains. "Chess, on the other hand, is more like 10 to the 150th power.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/03/000314072236.htm

That sort of comment is what I am going on.
  2. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 04:56
    Let's combine the two!
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 15:22
    Would that be "Cho" or "Gess"? I'd pronounce the second name as guess.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 17:14
    I've got a better idea: We can Go play Chess.
  5. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    17 Oct '08 00:03
    Originally posted by flexmore
    When you make a move in go you have more choices to choose from than in chess, because in go you can just plonk it down almost anywhere. In chess the piece has to move from its current location.

But this does not mean there are more possible positions of the board.

Each "square" on a go board can only be three things: white / black / empty.

Each ...[text shortened]... n / horse / bishop / rook / queen / king / Black pawn / horse / bishop / queen / king / empty.
    To visualize that there are more combinations in go then in chess we can see it in this way.
    In go you have 19 x 19 intersections, where you can put the stones. If you put a chess-board over a go-board you got at least 4 intersections in every square of the chess-board.
    Next question is how many combinations of stones you can put on these 4 intersections. In my opinion you can have 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 = 81 combinations and in chess there are only 13 combinations for every square.
    This is of course a simplification on how to calculate the combinations, but it shows that go is winning that battle.

I have no opinions about go, because I have never played it.
  6. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    18 Oct '08 23:431 edit
    Originally posted by ResigningSoon
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that Go is indeed much more complicated (the move-tree is rediculously larger). I love to play Go and I think it to be at least as much fun as chess.

I also think I read somewhere that Go requires more strategic planning than chess (chess is mostly tactics, at least according to Rybka).

I dunno though, I'm not that strong at Go.

I mostly prefer chess because I'm most familiar with it.
    go seems to be insanely more complicated, mathematics wise. Not only are the game trees more complex, but there are estimated to be about 4.63 X 10^170 possible positions on a 19 X 19 board for go.

for chess there are 10^43 games of 40 moves or less. i know this is not a good comparison, but i believe the difference is rather large.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree