1. Joined
    12 Mar '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 13:19
    I have read a few things about this ancient chinese game called "Go". They say that it is more intellectual than chess and that it requires more complicated thoughts.

Is that true?

Can anyone who has played both these games compare them?
  2. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 13:241 edit
    Chess is better! and much more fun.

However it is (as always) a matter of opinion.

As far as I know in Go there are no computer programs which stand a chance against top human players.

For the rules of go check out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_Go
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 13:45
    Originally posted by Tsekos the punk
    I have read a few things about this ancient chinese game called "Go". They say that it is more intellectual than chess and that it requires more complicated thoughts.

Is that true?

Go is very much complicated game in its simplicity.
    Not many rules, yet very hard to master.

But much harder to find opponents - so I stick with chess.
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 14:08
    Go advantages in my opinion:
    -very simple and very complicated in the same time
    -computers are weak
    -no draws(so no draws at high level)

Chess advantages:
    -easier to get opponents where I live
    -looks like more fun
    -you can get a draw (at lower levels, draws are still fun, it is nice to draw against a stronger opponent-at high level too many draws are not fun at all)

I promised myself that after I get the FM title in chess(probably never 🙁 ) I will start studying and playing Go 🙂
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    13 Oct '08 14:20
    Originally posted by Tsekos the punk

Is that true?

I believe Go has more possible positions which means it's more complicated.
  6. Joined
    18 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 06:54
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that Go is indeed much more complicated (the move-tree is rediculously larger). I love to play Go and I think it to be at least as much fun as chess.

I also think I read somewhere that Go requires more strategic planning than chess (chess is mostly tactics, at least according to Rybka).

I dunno though, I'm not that strong at Go.

I mostly prefer chess because I'm most familiar with it.
  7. USA
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by ResigningSoon
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that Go is indeed much more complicated (the move-tree is rediculously larger). I love to play Go and I think it to be at least as much fun as chess.

I also think I read somewhere that Go requires more strategic planning than chess (chess is mostly tactics, at least according to Rybka).

I think Go is a much better game than chess due its simplicity and strategic elements. Chess has been nearly exhausted with all the opening and endgame theory.
  8. Seattle
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 17:46
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    I think Go is a much better game than chess due its simplicity and strategic elements. Chess has been nearly exhausted with all the opening and endgame theory.
    and your rating shows it...
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 18:36
    Chess has not been exhausted and it doesn't make a difference that go has more possible positions than chess because there are octillions of possible positions in both. I am not stating my opinion, I just wanted to clear these false facts up.
  10. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 22:51
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I believe Go has more possible positions which means it's more complicated.
    When you make a move in go you have more choices to choose from than in chess, because in go you can just plonk it down almost anywhere. In chess the piece has to move from its current location.

But this does not mean there are more possible positions of the board.

Each "square" on a go board can only be three things: white / black / empty.

Each square on a chess board can be many different things: white pawn / horse / bishop / rook / queen / king / Black pawn / horse / bishop / queen / king / empty.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 02:043 edits
    I know both but I prefer chess. I can relate to it better and find it more interesting. Moreover, it's far more popular so I can actually find someone to play with OTB and people have some idea of what it means to play chess well.

In terms of complexity, I don't know. What's more complicated for a computer isn't always more complicated for a human. Moreover, what seems more complicated to one person may not be to another. Either way, it doesn't matter much because for humans both are infinite and there is more than enough scope for skilled players to rise to the top. Although it's true that chess will have more draws because of its nature. You start with all material and then reduce it rather than the opposite.

Anyway, this is kind of a silly topic. They are very different games and do not even compete with each other. Which is better soccer or football?
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 02:09
    Originally posted by ResigningSoon

Actually Rybka's strength comes from positional elements to a high degree. Brute force calculators are about 800 points weaker.
  13. Standard memberO Artem O
    ParTizan
    Philadelphia, USA
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 02:31
    i played that game on the computer i got bored after like 5 minutes played chess for my whole life still love the game
  14. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 18:07
    Compared to Chess, not having a ton of theory or opening books makes Go appealing.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 18:35
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    Compared to Chess, not having a ton of theory or opening books makes Go appealing.
    Being able to prepare ideas ahead of time makes chess more like a real war and I think that's actually quite interesting.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree