1. In attack
    Moves
    21 Sep '11 11:462 edits
    Following a link posted here, I watched my first televised chess match last week. What struck me was how different the GM's ideas were to the commentators (and definitely my own). Also how the commentators were certain black was in control from a long way out, much further out than I thought black was in control...

Having trouble loading the pgn.. 🙁 ... sorted.. No smiley faces in comments apparently!

2. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '11 13:51
    Morgski,

A few variations showing that 37. Re5xe2 is not a good idea for white. Please let me know if it's inaccurate.

3. In attack
    Moves
    21 Sep '11 14:28
    Hey tvo.

The best option for white looks to be your second run through (finishing Bxg2 Rxe2). Black is still in an advantageous position, but at least it isn't carnage in the corner for the white king like in the game or your other lines. You'd expect someone like Ivanchuk to be able to get one of those pawns home though 🙂
  4. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '11 14:35
    Originally posted by morgski
    Hey tvo.

The best option for white looks to be your second run through (finishing Bxg2 Rxe2). Black is still in an advantageous position, but at least it isn't carnage in the corner for the white king like in the game or your other lines. You'd expect someone like Ivanchuk to be able to get one of those pawns home though 🙂
    The second is indeed the best, but even that one is advantageous for black. Not only because of the extra pawn, but also the mobility of the rook is better. A knight is a slow mover in endgames, plus more difficult to use in defending specific squares/lines. The bishop can only cover half of the squares. Nevertheless, that's just the evaluation. I wouldn't be able to turn it into a win.
  5. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    21 Sep '11 15:16
    Originally posted by morgski
    Hey tvo.

this rook and 2 pawns versus the minor pieces is easy (and the more you look at it the easier it seems)
    white can't defend a3 the the 2 queenside pawns romp home.

I suggest playing sample moves for white and you will fine all the lines flow for black

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree