1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 21:52
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I go to The Week in Chess every Monday for the latest GM/IM games. http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html

There are more games than you could possibly use at Logical Chess http://www.logicalchess.com/resources/openings/pgndb/index.html. Each ECO classification is a separate database, so its less user friendly (and there is a lot of junk)
    Question for you.

On the main page it says download in .pgn , .cbv etc...

Those games are for the past week correct? So every monday they have new games to download for the past week?

Can you get the games from weeks before in one file? Or if they have one main file for each year? Say for the years of 2000 to 2006.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 22:15
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Question for you.

On the main page it says download in .pgn , .cbv etc...

Those games are for the past week correct? So every monday they have new games to download for the past week?

Can you get the games from weeks before in one file? Or if they have one main file for each year? Say for the years of 2000 to 2006.
    You must download each week separately, and you'll find them where it says "archive of past issues".I seem to remember spending quite a few hours getting all the back issues when I started assembling my database.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 22:22
    You must download each week separately, and you'll find them where it says "archive of past issues".I seem to remember spending quite a few hours getting all the back issues when I started assembling my database.
    Argg... buddy, friend how you been? 🙂

Perhaps we can work something out? Barter system style. You send me db in .pgn format and I can give you something chess related in return?

They should put that all those on one file for people. It's so simple using a chess program. Can't take more then several minutes once you get all those games into the same db.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 22:27
    This is the page right?

http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twicp.html

So for .pgn i would go to column 4 and download each file?

Do they have the criteria of the games they include somewhere? I was looking around but I don't see anything. From the few games I've seen it seems like they have games from big tournament, so 2400 and up?

Do they have games of 2000 to 2400?
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 22:30
    Originally posted by Superman
    I know that chessmaster database is not so good, but that is what I use, have you tried it, it allows to find positions just as you say.
    I do not know about ChessMaster's database being to bad. It has top level GM games in it. One game I was playing my opponent told me that I did not fall to that trap. I was following a Kasparov game form ChessMaster's database. I told him that so far he was playing Kasparov. One thing I like about ChessMaster is the analyzed games section.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 22:33
    Originally posted by gambit3
    I do not know about ChessMaster's database being to bad. It has top level GM games in it. One game I was playing my opponent told me that I did not fall to that trap. I was following a Kasparov game form ChessMaster's database. I told him that so far he was playing Kasparov. One thing I like about ChessMaster is the analyzed games section.
    Fritz has a better Db then CM and is very friendly compared to CM. Also I have CM10000 and it requires a lot of juice to run and won't function on my computer. I only use it when i can borrow my sisters 2.4 Ghz labtop and even then it is sluggish sometimes.

CM10000 is built like a PC game for some reason. You need good graphics/video cards and other things to use it properly.
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 23:04
    Fritz has a better Db then CM and is very friendly compared to CM. Also I have CM10000 and it requires a lot of juice to run and won't function on my computer. I only use it when i can borrow my sisters 2.4 Ghz labtop and even then it is sluggish sometimes.

CM10000 is built like a PC game for some reason. You need good graphics/video cards and other things to use it properly.
    I have never seen Fritz's database. I dearly love analyzed great games. The analyzed games in ChessMaster are fun to go through. Too me a great game is something like Lasker vs Schlechter game ten of the world title match. Ja, I have noticed that Fritz does not hog the CPU while ChessMaster does. Does Deep Fritz need the CPUs to run well?
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 23:39
    I use to use this Db when I was playing on here and every once it awhile it would be down for a couple of days. But it's been over a week since it's been down or possible more.

I haven't played in several months so I haven't check it until recently. What's going on with it? I can't even find a contact number or e-mail to ask about it. It dampens my spirit ...[text shortened]... his one? Not chesslab, you can't trust the games on there. They let anyone submit games.
    http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/opening-database.html

😉
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 23:55
    The reason is simple: the folks at UbiSoft are gamers. Fritz, on the other hand, is designed by chess professionals.
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 00:22
    Originally posted by gambit3
    I have never seen Fritz's database. I dearly love analyzed great games. The analyzed games in ChessMaster are fun to go through. Too me a great game is something like Lasker vs Schlechter game ten of the world title match. Ja, I have noticed that Fritz does not hog the CPU while ChessMaster does. Does Deep Fritz need the CPUs to run well?
    I have Deep Fritz 8 but I don't have dual chips. It still runs fine.

Fritz 8 comes with a database of 1/2 million. Open up fritz and then go to file new database or just press f12 and the database window will pop up. It's way easier to use then CM.

I'm not sure which analysed games you are talking about? Are you talking about annotated games or the video lecture ones?
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 00:23
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/opening-database.html

😉
    I have that one. That's only good for the opening. I'm finding one with the actual games like chesslab or chesslive.
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 00:26
    The reason is simple: the folks at UbiSoft are gamers. Fritz, on the other hand, is designed by chess professionals.
    Right.

So back to my question?

Are they certain qualifaction for the games to be include on that website?

Do they have the games of 2000+ players or only 2300 and up?

I like setting a limit of 2000 when searching because that covers a lot of weird responses and still gives quality games.
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 00:36
    I sent chessbase an e-mail asking about their online database and when they are going to fix it.
  14. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 00:57
    I have Deep Fritz 8 but I don't have dual chips. It still runs fine.

Fritz 8 comes with a database of 1/2 million. Open up fritz and then go to file new database or just press f12 and the database window will pop up. It's way easier to use then CM.

I'm not sure which analysed games you are talking about? Are you talking about annotated games or the video lecture ones?
    The games you called "annotated" and not the video lecture. Like Marshall's Gold Coin Game. Those video lecture games of Joshua's are nice. Too bad Joshua left the game. He seemed to be a fine GM in the making?
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 01:33
    Right.

So back to my question?

Are they certain qualifaction for the games to be include on that website?

Do they have the games of 2000+ players or only 2300 and up?

I like setting a limit of 2000 when searching because that covers a lot of weird responses and still gives quality games.
    TWIC gathers the games of important tournaments, including some youth events. Open events that include GMs and lesser players sometimes appear. Hence, not all games are between players above 2000.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree