1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 03:57
    Why does this program require so much "juice" to work?

The computer requirements are pretty low for the program but I was running it on a 2.4 Ghz labtop with 512 Ram I believe and it was still slow starting up and every know and then it would get slow.

Fritz 8 works like a charm even on 350 Mhz computer which I still have.

I like using CM to play against the different personalities and watch the lectures but on a 800 Mhz labtop it takes 1 minutes to load up and then it takes forever to do anything. You can't do anything with it and i'm pretty sure the requirements for CM are around 500MHz or so.

Any ideas? Do you guys have similar problems with CM10000?
  2. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 04:19
    I do have similar problems with cm10. the startup menu is just black for a few seconds (usually 5) and then it starts and things dont move very fast, so I usually just use Fritz (they need to make more videos like the one with Kasparov teaching the QG).
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 04:19
    Originally posted by RahimK

The computer requirements are pretty low for the program but I was running it on a 2.4 Ghz labtop with 512 Ram I believe and it was still slow starting up and every know and then it would get slow.

I like using CM to play ag ...[text shortened]... or CM are around 500MHz or so.

The demo for ChessMaster 10 worked just fine for me. I had no problems. 1395 GHz and 256 RAM.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 04:52
    Originally posted by Menso
    I do have similar problems with cm10. the startup menu is just black for a few seconds (usually 5) and then it starts and things dont move very fast, so I usually just use Fritz (they need to make more videos like the one with Kasparov teaching the QG).
    What kind of computer do you have?
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 04:53
    Originally posted by gambit3
    The demo for ChessMaster 10 worked just fine for me. I had no problems. 1395 GHz and 256 RAM.
    Maybe because it's the demo? Not sure, I just know compared to other program it requires a lot of computer juice to operate.
  6. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 05:01
    What kind of computer do you have?
    HP Pavilion, AMD 3200+ with 512MB of RAM, nothing great, but its decent.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 05:38
    Originally posted by Menso
    HP Pavilion, AMD 3200+ with 512MB of RAM, nothing great, but its decent.
    Wow, and Cm still gives you problems. Must be the program for sure then. I thought it was my computer.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 10:01
    I only have CM9K, but I doubt the situation has changed. it's jus so badly written. it freezes a lot, is generally awkward and the ui is horrible. the features I like, if only they were implemented better...
  9. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 12:46

I like using CM to play ag ...[text shortened]... or CM are around 500MHz or so.

The problem is the software, it is realy heavy, mainly on the start, to show the menu it takes a while, but after im inside, it is not so slow, but it is almost imposible to use the animated3D boards.

I have a friend who has one of the recomended videocards and it is a lot faster than mine, I guess it has something to do with that.
  10. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 12:56
    By the way, what is the "score" thing in chessmaster 10000? When I analyze a game, it always puts up a score like, Score: 2.04. What is that?

Note: It's all about the graphic card you use. I have Nvidia 7800 GT and 2 GB RAM, and it runs smoothly.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 13:18
    ANTHIAS HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD IT'S THE GRAPHICS CARD, speed and ram are secondary.
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 13:21
    Maybe because it's the demo? Not sure, I just know compared to other program it requires a lot of computer juice to operate.
    Fritz is easy on the CPU resources. ChessMaster wants so much of the CPU that Fritz times out vs ChessMaster. Too make matters worse I understand the Pentium has a power leakage problem. Guess that AMD Athlon is better for a gaming computer.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 14:05
    Chessmaster has always been a memory hog, and that's one of the reasons you cannot successfully run CM vs other engine matches on a single box and get a valid result. Both as a chess program, and as effecient software, Chessmaster leaves a lot to be desired. Remember that CM was designed and is marketed by gamers, and their expectations and hardware demands differ from most folks that use their computers for other things (spreadsheet analysis, for example).

CM X runs fine on my 3.4 Ghz 512 RAM box, and other programs can run at the same time (thanks to HT). However, Fritz 9 frequently freezes up, and has crashed the system several times. Fritz 8 has had problems since the latest online update, but does not crash the system. The problem may be with my computer itself, however, as it has not run well since the geeks at BestBuy "repaired" it.
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 16:03
    Originally posted by anthias
    By the way, what is the "score" thing in chessmaster 10000? When I analyze a game, it always puts up a score like, Score: 2.04. What is that?

Note: It's all about the graphic card you use. I have Nvidia 7800 GT and 2 GB RAM, and it runs smoothly.
    That tells you who is winning.

As you know a pawn is 1 point, bishop and knights 3 etc..

So when it gives a score of 2.04 that means white is winning by 2 pawns. if it's - 2.04 then black is winning by 2 pawns.
    That's the way the program communicates who is winning.

Every chess program uses that sort of scoring system, Fritz and all the chessbase one, CM and all the other programs.
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Aug '06 16:07
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    However, Fritz 9 frequently freezes up, and has crashed the system several times.
    weird, I haven't had a single hickup with fritz 9, during the 6 months or so I've used it...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree