1. Joined
    16 Apr '08
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 00:39
    I'm looking to buy a chess engine. Is there a difference between these three? Which one is best and why?
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 00:461 edit
    Originally posted by Jakal
    I'm looking to buy a chess engine. Is there a difference between these three? Which one is best and why?
    Chessmaster is full of very good interactive tutorials and drills. Fritz is more suited for serious game analysis altough it features some training options too, Rybka is the strongest chess engine out there, but do you really need it ??

I would go with Chessmaster if I were you. Fritz is also very good to have (big game database, openings book) but Chessmaster is maybe more adequate for 1500ish players because of openings, tactics, strategy, endgame tutorials.

Buy both 🙂
  3. Standard memberLordofADown
    King of all Hills
    Connecticut
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 00:54
    Rybka is practically unbeatable with a rough elo of 3000+. But I would go with Fritz, because it has an amazing interface, awesome analysis, great opening book and it allows you to create your own database with your own chess trees.
  4. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 00:54
    I had Chessmaster 10th edition a while back. Was pretty cool, had lots of interesting features but did lack a large game database like you would get with Fritz. The only thing I didn't much like about Chessmaster is the childish feel it had. A lot of times I felt it was as if the developers were marketing it to 7yr old children.
  5. Joined
    07 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 01:12
    I learned with chessmaster 6000, helped me out with the basics and some strategy. It's hard to tell if it is good for you since we do not know what exactly you're looking for to improve (openings, tactics, etc). I would recommend chessmaster for beginners since it will give you a pretty good idea of how the game is played.
    good luck
    🙂
  6. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 01:17
    Ask Ironman31
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 02:43
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    I had Chessmaster 10th edition a while back. Was pretty cool, had lots of interesting features but did lack a large game database like you would get with Fritz. The only thing I didn't much like about Chessmaster is the childish feel it had. A lot of times I felt it was as if the developers were marketing it to 7yr old children.
    Chessmaster does have a large database, just as Fritz. But, it is hard to find and harder to use because gamers, rather than chess professionals, designed the interface.

Chessmaster 2100 was the standard in chess software.

Chessmaster 3000 gave Fritz 4 a run for the money.

Chessmaster 7000 was failing to keep up with the competition.

Chessmaster X (tenth edition) and CM Grandmaster are almost worthless unless you are a complete beginner or a child.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 08:20
    Originally posted by LordofADown
    Rybka is practically unbeatable with a rough elo of 3000+. But I would go with Fritz, because it has an amazing interface, awesome analysis, great opening book and it allows you to create your own database with your own chess trees.
    Rybka's current interface from chessbase is an updated version of fritz gui, so there's no reason to go for fritz instead if you're not seriously interested in computer chess.

if you want to analyse your games, go with Rybka. If you want to enjoy the best chess tutorials for the sub 1800 player ever, go with Chessmaster. If you can afford, go with both.
  9. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 10:33
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Chessmaster X (tenth edition) and CM Grandmaster are almost worthless unless you are a complete beginner or a child, IMO.
    fixed 😛
  10. Joined
    05 Apr '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 12:53
    Fruit is a pretty good free engine
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 15:204 edits
    Originally posted by Jakal
    For your level (and my level too), there's no functional difference between the engine strengths. So, CM is a little (or a lot) weaker than the others. Big deal. I'm not entering my CM into a tournament against other engines (except the 2009 site championship 🙂 ). CM's engine is much stronger than I am and that's all that matters to me in terms of engine strength.

To me, CM GM is worth the 20 bucks (or whatever it sells for these days) just for the Waitzkin tutorials even if that's all it came with. This is a no brainer to me.

BTW, is there a list of emoticon symbols that work on the forum somewhere?
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 17:18
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    if you want to analyse your games, go with Rybka. If you want to enjoy the best chess tutorials for the sub 1800 player ever, go with Chessmaster. If you can afford, go with both.
    Change your 1800 to 1400 or 1200, and I'll agree. There's no value to me in CM's tutorials, and I am under 1800. I do use Fritz nearly every day for analysis or training against.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 17:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    For your level (and my level too), there's no functional difference between the engine strengths. So, CM is a little (or a lot) weaker than the others. Big deal. I'm not entering my CM into a tournament against other engines (except the 2009 site championship 🙂 ). CM's engine is much stronger than I am and that's all that matters to me in terms of engine strength.
    Chessmaster's calculation is good enough, but it is less articulate in expressing what it knows in ways that make it of less value for players over 1200. Fritz can explain decoys, interference, clearance sacrifices, ...

Chessmaster does not do this well, although Josh Waitzkin does.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 18:221 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Change your 1800 to 1400 or 1200, and I'll agree. There's no value to me in CM's tutorials, and I am under 1800. I do use Fritz nearly every day for analysis or training against.
    I think it's a matter of what you like in chess. Maybe studying tactics all the way would make get you to 1800 quicker than watching Waitzkin talking about the psychology of the game, but for me, coming across the interpretation of Waitzkin about chess was one of the best things that happened to me in my chess "career". Not that it improved my rating, but it made me love the game as much as I do now.
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 20:391 edit
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    I think it's a matter of what you like in chess. Maybe studying tactics all the way would make get you to 1800 quicker than watching Waitzkin talking about the psychology of the game, but for me, coming across the interpretation of Waitzkin about chess was one of the best things that happened to me in my chess "career". Not that it improved my rating, but it made me love the game as much as I do now.
    I was in love with the game before Josh Waitzkin was born.

I think his videos are great, but Fritz offers better instruction and help for players in the D,C,and B classes

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree