Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 04 Dec '05 08:53
    I bought Chessmaster 5500 some years ago. I recently saw Chessmaster 7000 on sale for $5.00 (+$3.00 postage). Anyone know if the later version is that much better than the earlier and worth the 8 bucks? Or maybe I the smart move would be to hold off and go for a more expensive program, like ChessAssistant or something.
  2. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    04 Dec '05 09:05
    Don't bother. You can get a better engine and instruction for free online.
  3. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    04 Dec '05 18:52
    Originally posted by basso
    I bought Chessmaster 5500 some years ago. I recently saw Chessmaster 7000 on sale for $5.00 (+$3.00 postage). Anyone know if the later version is that much better than the earlier and worth the 8 bucks? Or maybe I the smart move would be to hold off and go for a more expensive program, like ChessAssistant or something.
    Chessmaster 7000 is a bit better than 5500. I have both, but 5500 is not currently installed on any boxes. I use 7000 a few times two or three times per year.

    I use Fritz nearly every day, and found Fritz 7 for $10 almost a year ago. That's the bargain you want because Fritz 7 is leagues better than the newest version of Chessmaster, as well as all the old ones.
  4. 05 Dec '05 03:06
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Don't bother. You can get a better engine and instruction for free online.
    Where?
  5. Standard member Wildfire
    Force of Nature
    05 Dec '05 03:12
    Originally posted by basso
    Where?
    www.google.com
  6. 05 Dec '05 03:32
    CM7000 has trouble running on later versions of Windows.

    For about $20 according to web searches, you can get CM9000, which is much better.

    CM10th, of course, is the latest, and is a little better than CM9000, though.
  7. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    05 Dec '05 03:44
    Originally posted by basso
    Where?
    http://www.playwitharena.com/
  8. 05 Dec '05 10:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Chessmaster 7000 is a bit better than 5500. I have both, but 5500 is not currently installed on any boxes. I use 7000 a few times two or three times per year.

    I use Fritz nearly every day, and found Fritz 7 for $10 almost a year ago. That's the bargain you want because Fritz 7 is leagues better than the newest version of Chessmaster, as well as all the old ones.
    Excuse my ignorance but what can fritz do exactly? If I was analysing a game and it highlighted a poor move, would it go into detail and tell you why it was a bad move? (which is the sort of detail I would appreciate) or would it merely flag it up. Is there any other way it can help? Obviously I want to improve but I just do not know what sort of help these software packages offer, one day I will get off my arse and go to the chess shop in london and see what they have there.