1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 12:06
    a friend of mine brought me back a proper chinese chess board from china. does any body know how to play the game? i'm totally stuck.....i heard tha there are even pieces that count as balista type weapons?
  2. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 13:11
    http://tinyurl.com/7kv54
  3. Joined
    19 Apr '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 15:37
    This website claims that Chinese chess is played by more people than "International" chess: http://www.xmission.com/~gastown/afi/ch_index.htm

Somehow, I'm a bit dubious.
  4. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 15:442 edits
    Originally posted by vmc303
    This website claims that Chinese chess is played by more people than "International" chess: http://www.xmission.com/~gastown/afi/ch_index.htm

Somehow, I'm a bit dubious.
    Not sure really, but the population of China is 1.3 billion with Chinese people also in other parts of the world. They are by far more Chinese than any other race. It is still possible that chinese chess is played by more people in the world than "international" chess.
  5. Joined
    19 Apr '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 17:211 edit
    Originally posted by lausey
    Not sure really, but the population of China is 1.3 billion with Chinese people also in other parts of the world. They are by far more Chinese than any other race. It is still possible that chinese chess is played by more people in the world than "international" chess.
    I suppose it's possible. If true though, that would likely make it the most popular game in the world, and it's odd that it's not more visible worldwide than it is. Heck, even Chinese checkers is more well-known to the average Westerner.
  6. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    05 Jan '06 11:41
    Originally posted by vmc303
    I suppose it's possible. If true though, that would likely make it the most popular game in the world, and it's odd that it's not more visible worldwide than it is. Heck, even Chinese checkers is more well-known to the average Westerner.
    international chess is a hybrid of chinese chess. so in truth, you have heard of the game, just not in the same format.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 Jan '06 22:44
    Originally posted by lausey
    Did the population go down? I recall our teachers saying 2 billion 10 or so years ago.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree