Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    22 Feb '06 22:36
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Here's two of my favorites:

Game 1641102

Better take that Chuckie, you're not beating me any other way. Hope you feel really good about that one. Especially when my vacation flag is up. Hope that one made you proud.

And two from "What Is Going On", one gets the point across:

Game 1813135

Why did you even join the s ...[text shortened]... d?

And to you "timeouts are a part of the game" people - so is honor and sportsmanship.
    You didn't move in the given time control to which you agreed before the game.
    Timeouts are part of the game,deal with it.
  2. 22 Feb '06 22:38
    Wow.

You really got hosed.

If it had been me, I'd of done the same thing,though, there is nothing sweeter than clicking on the skull when you're a move away from mate, or when the other guy hasn't even moved.
  3. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    22 Feb '06 22:40 / 1 edit
    Here's two of my favorites:

Game 1641102

Better take that Chuckie, you're not beating me any other way. Hope you feel really good about that one. Especially when my vacation flag is up. Hope that one made you proud.

And two from "What Is Going On", one gets the point across:

Game 1813135

Why did you even join the s ...[text shortened]... d?

And to you "timeouts are a part of the game" people - so is honor and sportsmanship.
    .......and while we're at it,explain this : Game 1523360

You claimed this timeout victory two days ago and you start a thread whining about people timing you out ?

Hipocrite.
  4. 22 Feb '06 22:48
    Originally posted by Ravello
    .......and while we're at it,explain this : Game 1523360

You claimed this timeout victory two days ago and you start a thread whining about people timing you out ?

Hipocrite.
    Sasquatch had a dead-won game, stupid, a timeout was appropriate.
  5. Standard member Gatecrasher
    Whale watching
    22 Feb '06 22:49 / 1 edit
    Cry baby!

Game 1641102

Very sloppy to throw away a winning game. You've let your clan down, badly.

Game 1813135

You didn't move at all. The game is unrated, so he won't get any rating points. But his clan wins the challenge...

You are playing a competitive team game. In this case, taking the timeout is sportsmanship, while dilly-dallying is a selfish indulgence.

If you were in my clan I'd have you horsewhipped... and expelled.
  6. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    22 Feb '06 22:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    Sasquatch had a dead-won game, stupid, a timeout was appropriate.
    So what? a timeout is a timeout,loser.

OTB they don't give a damn about who's winning,the flag falls and you lose.
  7. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    22 Feb '06 22:57
    I highly - HIGHLY - doubt you're man enough to horsewhip me.
    No one is man enough for you........
  8. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    22 Feb '06 22:58 / 1 edit
    Aren't there small animals you should be torturing, Ravvy?
    I don't see any of your relatives here.
  9. 22 Feb '06 23:05
    I don't enjoying timing out players, and if they move within a reasonable rate, say 1 move every 2 days I won't time them out.

The only way I timeout someone is if they are clearly losing or one time I had to timeout one of those mass timeout players before he hit the bottom.

If that's the timer you decide on then tough luck.
  10. Standard member Peakite
    Sais
    22 Feb '06 23:56
    Hey - nothing I can do about it, but if that's the only way you can beat someone, well...just think if you don't want to honor someone's vacation flag when you're getting your backside handed to you, then you're not much of a competitor.
    Play with longer time controls if you don't want to get timed out. You talk about honor (sic) being part of the game in the OP, but then as far as games go shouldn't that also mean sticking to the agreed time controls? Especially as has been mentioned in a clan challenge, not a open invite or challenge.
  11. 23 Feb '06 00:10
    Hey - nothing I can do about it, but if that's the only way you can beat someone, well...just think if you don't want to honor someone's vacation flag when you're getting your backside handed to you, then you're not much of a competitor.
    Sasquatch you have my sympathy, your reply was mean. I win most all my games legitimately.
    But a win on time is a win, no matter how ya slice it.
  12. 23 Feb '06 00:57
    Timeout = OTB flag drops.

I don't think I've EVER seen anyone fail to claim a win on time after the flag drops.

Why is RHP any different?
  13. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    23 Feb '06 01:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Drumbo
    If it had been me, I'd of done the same thing,though, there is nothing sweeter than clicking on the skull when you're a move away from mate, or when the other guy hasn't even moved.
    Timeouts are the way to go, eh dodger?
    "OK, here's what I do, and it's worked MANY times: Pick a new game at 1 day per move, zero time bank. Then watch what time of day your opponent moves, and jump in right after he logs off and move instantly. THEN, grasshopper, check onto the site just when the 24 hour time is up, and declare a win if the dumb sap misses it by a few minutes. I have won many a game against higher rated players in this way, most of them were dead losses for me. I'm quite the sportsman. You can be too!!! "

Better give sacksquash some lessons.

D
  14. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    23 Feb '06 01:50
    I went away for a week and a half earlier this month. I organized myself so I would have enough timebank to cover myself. I'm paying for it now though as my 3/7 games are down to a day or so timebank.

I've yet to be timed out in a game, with organization it's possible to avoid it. Now if someone I'm playing doesn't move in time I'll time them out. If they haven't got their flag up and a return date I won't even think about it. If they have I'll consider not taking it.

Take responsibility for yourself you giant baby.
  15. 23 Feb '06 02:14
    A lot of you here take a very crude position; the flag fell, you lose. But rememember, his vacation flag was on and he had a devastating position. This is supposed to be a friendly game, there is no money on the line, there is no real pressure, thus I think there is no reason to be a bad sportsman. And in my opinion, his opponent was not a good sportsman. If I were in the same position as sasquatch672, I would be pissed off too. Naturally, it is his win, but it is not a meaningful win by any standard of chess skill. He took advantage of a guy on vacation. I think that's pathetic and shows poor sportsmanship.