1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 12:46
    Originally posted by moon1969
    In other words, the appearance of a skull is generally more indicative of a player's game load and/or personal demands outside of RHP, and not really indicative of the player's chess or mental ability, such as it is in OTB chess. In correspondence type chess such as RHP, the clock is not really part of the game of chess but more about issues unrelated to the game of chess?
    IMO, the ability to pick a game load which you can comfortably handle is as much a part of correspondence chess as the ability to divide your two hours between opening, middle and end game is part of OTB chess.

Richard
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 19:401 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    IMO, the ability to pick a game load which you can comfortably handle is as much a part of correspondence chess as the ability to divide your two hours between opening, middle and end game is part of OTB chess.

Richard
    Interesting point. Good analogy for time managment in correspondence versus OTB.

One thing about personal demands outside of and unrelated to chess is that such demands generally do not apply time pressure in an OTB game whereas they quite often apply management pressure in correspondence chess, whether you have a game load of 1 or 100. Though it should generally be easier to deal with such with a small game load.

I could see where choosing a game load of only one game in RHP would generally absolutely render the clock moot, and the clock would thus should plainly not be part of the game? At least for the player with one game load.

If someone experienced any time pressure with a RHP game load of one, then maybe they really do not have the situation in life to play chess.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 19:50
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    With me, using books, especially for the opening and the endgame, definitely help in CC, but the biggest difference for me is that my blunder rate is far far less in CC.

I have noticed in my OTB play that I miss things when there are sustained middlegame operations, and they tend to be superficial, like "Oh, I missed that my knight was hanging after ...[text shortened]... made my last move" kind of stuff.

I rarely do that in CC, although I still have my moments.
    Oh ya, same for me too. I do blunder less in CC, especially with a reasonable game load.
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 19:53
    Originally posted by savage4731
    I'm not saying you're making excuses. All I'm saying is what it sounds like.

Correspondence DOES have time controls and time pressure. That's essentially why I've quit playing correspondence. I don't have the free time. You have a given amount of time to move in correspondence (just like OTB) . The only difference is that in correspondence the time c ...[text shortened]... ther one didn't - yet that's pretty much what you're saying about correspondence.
    True, good points. I know what you indicate about letting correspondence chess take a lot of time. For me, it can be even to the point of ignoring work and personal stuff.
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 19:57
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Wins by timeout 28 (17.28% )
    Losses by timeout 0 (0.00% )
    You just need to get burned a few times yourself to change your mind.😛
    I am glad to see I have never timed out. I just don't feel the time pressure. It's just easy for me to log on and make a few minutes if needed. I might actually feel cramped if I had a lot of 1/0 games, or if I started kind of just ignoring RHP most of the time instead of checking it almost every day like I do.
  6. on your backrank!
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 20:46
    without clocks no one would play online correspondence
    simply because too many games would never reach a conclusion.

So while I agree with op that the clock is not part of the game in the same way as otb the clock is a neccessity for the owners to make their site attractive to play on.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    14 Jul '11 03:47
    Interesting point. Good analogy for time managment in correspondence versus OTB.

One thing about personal demands outside of and unrelated to chess is that such demands generally do not apply time pressure in an OTB game whereas they quite often apply management pressure in correspondence chess, whether you have a game load of 1 or 100. Though it shoul ...[text shortened]... a RHP game load of one, then maybe they really do not have the situation in life to play chess.
    Perhaps we should refer to a clock for OTB play, but to a calendar for CC play...
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    14 Jul '11 15:12
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Perhaps we should refer to a clock for OTB play, but to a calendar for CC play...
    You read my mind. I have been trying to think of a word for the RHP time controls. "Clock" didn't seem to be a good fit. "Calendar" seems a better characterization.

"I claim skulls because the calendar is part of the game."

My original thought, which may be way off or a contradiction, is that the RHP calendar may be part of the "game" but not really part of the "game of chess"?

A loss due to a calendar rule in correspondence chess is analagous to a soccer team forfeiting a game because they didn't show up for the match? Maybe. Maybe not.
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 02:51
    You read my mind. I have been trying to think of a word for the RHP time controls. "Clock" didn't seem to be a good fit. "Calendar" seems a better characterization.

"I claim skulls because the calendar is part of the game."

My original thought, which may be way off or a contradiction, is that the RHP calendar may be part of the "game" but not reall ...[text shortened]... eam forfeiting a game because they didn't show up for the match? Maybe. Maybe not.
    The soccer analogy makes sense.

In OTB, if I win on time, I have a sense of accomplishment because I know the other person could not resolve the struggle on the board in the allotted time. He was right there in front of me, he was working at the board, and he was not equal to the task.

When I click a skull here, for all I know, the other guy could have been in a tornado, forgot to pay his internet access bill, just got served divorce papers, or he could even have died, God forbid--there's just no telling. In any event, I have no idea if it was the game itself or something completely extraneous that caused the result.

In my mind, at least, that is the difference I see.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree