1. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 19:42
    So killing time playing a one minute bullet game today...

as some might recall the following position discussed in GP's thread (one might say hijacking but..)

so I reach this same position, after wasting a good tenth of my clock trying to remember what I had just analyzed a few days ago. I blame the Charles Wells Bombadier pints I had last night....

11. h3 Bb6 (not best but playing by analogy)
    12. Re1 Bd7
    13. e5 Nh7

Obviously Nh5 is better targeting f4. My plan was simply to play f6 and then double behind the backwards e pawn and push the duo forward. Typical dubious bullet play.

14. Nf1 Rae8
    15. Ng3 f6
    16. exf6 Nxf6 Completing my plan, objectively Black is probably ok
    17. Ne5??

Find the combination.
  2. Delft, Netherlands
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 19:53
    Nice combo Nimzo5, did you actually see this in a 1 min bullet game?
    That's pretty impressive, usually I can't go further then 3 ply in such a short time.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 20:23
    I was thinking in general that it would be nice to start a Colle thread, as people seem to enjoy discussing it, and it would preserve the integrity of other threads.

That it begins with an artistic tactical shot is a bonus.
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 20:251 edit
    Yashin -
    I saw the main combination, but not all of White's best defensive ideas. In an OTB game I would have spent probably 15 minutes or more to make sure that it was sound.
  5. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 23:06
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I was thinking in general that it would be nice to start a Colle thread, as people seem to enjoy discussing it,
    Not people, Robbie. Robbie is the one who worships that golden calf.

Mark my words, RC, when this CC game I'm in (not on here) is over I'm going to melt it and make you drink it.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 23:281 edit
    Hi all,

Nimzo and I were PMing on the thread, and I mentioned how the position reminds me of the Ruy Lopez whenever I see it. Our talk made me think about how the Colle tends to mimic kingpawn openings from a different move order, so I thought I would see what I could find. Here's some interesting games, especially after 8-12 moves into the game:

First a French

From a Sicilian (not a perfect match- some important differences, but a reasonable stylistic fit):

Now a Ruy Lopez (The immediate occupation of e5 with a pawn on move one most certainly alters the landscape, and while I did not pick these based on result, Black does win this):

I think this is a very good example of how studying Master games in general, including tournament books and "Best Games" books, can benefit someone. Patterns and piece placement tend to recur in a variety of different openings, and a broad exposure to the game can add to pattern recognition, increase strategic understanding, and make planning easier, regardless of the opening one plays.

Paul
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 23:52
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    Not people, Robbie. Robbie is the one who worships that golden calf.

Mark my words, RC, when this CC game I'm in (not on here) is over I'm going to melt it and make you drink it.
    Robbie's chess repertoire is very straightforward- he plays the Loquacity Attack as white and the Witty Repartee Defense as black!

Like may chess art fans, I think he enjoys the journey more than the destination!
  8. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 01:22
    [b]Hi all,

Nimzo and I were PMing on the thread, and I mentioned how the position reminds me of the Ruy Lopez whenever I see it. Our talk made me think about how the Colle tends to mimic kingpawn openings from a different move order, so I thought I would see what I could find. Here's some interesting games, especially after 8-12 moves into the game:
    ...[text shortened]...
    rec'd
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 12:29
    Like may chess art fans, I think he enjoys the journey more than the destination!
    Nor is he wrong in that. You spend hours on the journey, days reliving it, and mere minutes fretting about the destination. So if you're going to lose anyway, you might as well enjoy yourself along the way.

Richard
  10. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    17 Apr '11 14:37
    If you are going to sit at the chessboard with the presumption of defeat, I would recc. trying to be artistic in failure, perhaps try and be mated with all your pieces still in their starting position.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree