1. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    09 May '06 11:29
    how do i handle a wave of advancing pawns,without being cramped or having to sacrafice a pawn?
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    09 May '06 11:58
    Usually with pawns of your own. It really depends what resources are available...
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '06 12:14
    if you got a pile of unopposed pawns coming your way you're hosed
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 May '06 12:22
    counterattack. if you can't stop those pawns, try to create threats elsewhere so your opponent can't spare the moves to advance them further.
  5. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 May '06 12:33
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    how do i handle a wave of advancing pawns,without being cramped or having to sacrafice a pawn?
    Do you have an example from a finished game?
  6. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    09 May '06 12:591 edit
    no, i am losing a game from this type of problem,i will post it on as soon as its over.
    The major problem for me is i end up being cramped by the advancing pawns, or i have a choice then of being cramped in development or choose to sacrafice material.
    I have not played for years and it seems to me that chess has movrd on a lot.
    In those days i was taught as a general principle to only move pawns no more than three in the early opening.

I will post a example game as soon as can.
  7. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 May '06 13:08
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    no, i am losing a game from this type of problem,i will post it on as soon as its over.
    The major problem for me is i end up being cramped by the advancing pawns, or i have a choice then of being cramped in development or choose to sacrafice material.
    I have not played for years and it seems to me that chess has movrd on a lot.
    In those days i was taught ...[text shortened]... ve pawns no more than three in the early opening.

I will post a example game as soon as can.
    That idea is still sound more often than not. This sort of pawn attack is popular in blitz, too, but it's the chessic equivalent of throwing one heavy punch after another, its pretty clumsy but if it hits its nasty, once you know how to step out of the way, though, the guy's toast.
  8. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    09 May '06 17:38
    yes,i hope i can learn how to step out of the way!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree