Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 17 Mar '18 19:43
    Has anybody here have a long layoff when they just didn't have the time to play? I retired a couple months ago (YEAH!). I haven't played in a tournament or even any OTB since '97 or so. Now I have the time! I restarted getting my Chess Life, bought some great chess books for my Kindle and I'm hoping to get some experience here. What would you recommend for a low B-class player? Have you ever had layoffs and what did you do to recover? Thanks for your input.
  2. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    17 Mar '18 20:10
    Originally posted by @jayboman1579
    Has anybody here have a long layoff when they just didn't have the time to play? I retired a couple months ago (YEAH!). I haven't played in a tournament or even any OTB since '97 or so. Now I have the time! I restarted getting my Chess Life, bought some great chess books for my Kindle and I'm hoping to get some experience here. What would you recommend ...[text shortened]... B-class player? Have you ever had layoffs and what did you do to recover? Thanks for your input.
    Practice tactical puzzles to get back in shape. There are loads of places to do that. Lichess.org has a training section with puzzles. Chesstempo.com is old but has stood the test of time. I'm sure there are loads more, google can help. Good luck
  3. 17 Mar '18 21:19
    Originally posted by @jayboman1579
    Has anybody here have a long layoff when they just didn't have the time to play? I retired a couple months ago (YEAH!). I haven't played in a tournament or even any OTB since '97 or so. Now I have the time! I restarted getting my Chess Life, bought some great chess books for my Kindle and I'm hoping to get some experience here. What would you recommend ...[text shortened]... B-class player? Have you ever had layoffs and what did you do to recover? Thanks for your input.
    I was away for all of 2017. I understand.

    I am surprised how quickly I've been able to freshen my repertoire of the Openings. I agree, however, the study of tactics and puzzles is definitely sharpening my game.

    If I were less lazy, I might study my old Tournament games. But, it's fun to just play again.
  4. 18 Mar '18 14:51
    I am currently working my way through the great Kindle book "Tactics Time" and am getting a lot out of it. It really gets one looking for those sort of shots. Plus, I picked up at Barnes and Noble Silman's "Complete Endgame Course." I never really paid attention to the endgame even though I knew I should. I believe that realizing the bigger importance of the correct move in the endgame will help me with the middle game, too.
  5. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    18 Mar '18 14:51 / 2 edits
    I had a 'sabbatical' of about 20 years from competitive play, then discovered RHP. Play a few blitz games to get the grease going, then start challenging people here. Not too many at once though -- no more than four at a time, till you find your sea legs again.
  6. 18 Mar '18 15:02
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    I was away for all of 2017. I understand.

    I am surprised how quickly I've been able to freshen my repertoire of the Openings. I agree, however, the study of tactics and puzzles is definitely sharpening my game.

    If I were less lazy, I might study my old Tournament games. But, it's fun to just play again.


    I figure that a bunch of speed chess wil ...[text shortened]... racked rib. That's one thing chess has over Ping-Pong - a lot smaller chance of physical harm. Ouch!
  7. 18 Mar '18 15:05
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    I had a 'sabbatical' of about 20 years from competitive play, then discovered RHP. Play a few blitz games to get the grease going, then start challenging people here. Not too many at once though -- no more than four at a time, till you find your sea legs again.
    Thanks for the advice. 'Sea legs' is a pretty good metaphor for this type of thing. Yeah, I'm just going to stick with two games for right now, until I convince myself that I have the discipline to keep with it.
  8. 18 Mar '18 21:16
    Originally posted by @jayboman1579
    I am currently working my way through the great Kindle book "Tactics Time" and am getting a lot out of it. It really gets one looking for those sort of shots.
    I bought the Tactics Time package years ago. It was quite good as I recall.
    I do not seem to have had good experiences of chess (or poker) books on Kindle. The formatting always seems of ...[text shortened]... .

    I have just bought a couple of books from Gambt Chess and that format does seem to work for me.
  9. Subscriber ogb
    18 Mar '18 22:02
    Originally posted by @jayboman1579
    [b]I am currently working my way through the great Kindle book "Tactics Time" and am getting a lot out of it.
    correct..chess is 99 % tactics so don't waste time on anything else..
  10. 19 Mar '18 00:16
    Originally posted by @jayboman1579
    I am currently working my way through the great Kindle book "Tactics Time" and am getting a lot out of it. It really gets one looking for those sort of shots. Plus, I picked up at Barnes and Noble Silman's "Complete Endgame Course." I never really paid attention to the endgame even though I knew I should. I believe that realizing the bigger importance of the correct move in the endgame will help me with the middle game, too.
    I think you're on the right path. You might also start playing through GM games covering the openings in your repertoire.
  11. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 Mar '18 14:21
    Originally posted by @jayboman1579
    Has anybody here have a long layoff when they just didn't have the time to play? I retired a couple months ago (YEAH!). I haven't played in a tournament or even any OTB since '97 or so. Now I have the time! I restarted getting my Chess Life, bought some great chess books for my Kindle and I'm hoping to get some experience here. What would you recommend ...[text shortened]... B-class player? Have you ever had layoffs and what did you do to recover? Thanks for your input.
    One thing would be for you to play games here. You have so far zero games going and you would never get better that way

    Chal me, we can get it started.

    What did you do during your working days? I just got laid off 'your position has been eliminated' just last month so I am looking like retirement 12 years after we traditionally retire at 65.

    I still have a capable mind but don't know who would hire a 76 yo for tech work even if I can do it easily.

    It is a bit depressing, I am not the same person now, free floating, my art put in the background, haven't touched my guitar (a big part of my life, composing tunes on guitar) for a month, all I do is look at it and look away.

    I have to find a way out of this funk, not sure how at this point in time.

    Are you going through this after your retirement or are you ok with it?
  12. 19 Mar '18 20:36
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    One thing would be for you to play games here. You have so far zero games going and you would never get better that way

    Chal me, we can get it started.

    What did you do during your working days? I just got laid off 'your position has been eliminated' just last month so I am looking like retirement 12 years after we traditionally retire at 65.

    I ...[text shortened]... this point in time.

    Are you going through this after your retirement or are you ok with it?
    Heh! Thanks for the game offer. I've got two going now. I'll probably keep it at that number for a while.
    I was a school teacher for the MI Department of Corrections. A really fascinating job - definitely not for everyone. That's also the place where I donated all of my chess books... sigh... I've read of Fischer selling many of his books before his move to CA. Then later trying to buy them back. Happens to the best of us!
    You've worked for a very long time if you're 76 now. Social Security doesn't do it for you, eh? Or you just want to keep yourself busy? Yeah, I've found watching TV and being on the computer just doesn't do enough for me! I'm looking for the closest OTB practice, plus maybe getting a chess thing of some sort started at the local senior center.
    It sad - company's won't come out and say that they won't hire a person 65+, but you can't see any other reason why they wouldn't want a mature person to help younger people out.
    Yeah, I retired mentally after the Wednesday of Thanksgiving week. Then I went on extended sick leave and had an operation on 12/4. Then I was officially retired on 1/1/18.
    It sounds like you've actually got a lot going on in your life - you've just got to take that first step toward on of your many possibilities. Check in at your local senior center. I bet they've dealt with seniors before who have felt directionless before. Seek and ask for help. We're mature enough now to be able to do that.
  13. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    20 Mar '18 00:25
    Originally posted by @jayboman1579
    Heh! Thanks for the game offer. I've got two going now. I'll probably keep it at that number for a while.
    I was a school teacher for the MI Department of Corrections. A really fascinating job - definitely not for everyone. That's also the place where I donated all of my chess books... sigh... I've read of Fischer selling many of his books before his m ...[text shortened]... directionless before. Seek and ask for help. We're mature enough now to be able to do that.
    Well, on a positive note, I picked up the guitar and played it for a couple of hours today. Even wrote a couple of tunes, didn't record anything though but it is good to see my creative chops have not left. I have 62 tracks on Soundcloud, a music uploading site with literally thousands of really impressive musicians and I have about 5000 listens there now, about 40 of the 62 my originals, dulcimer, mandolin, guitar, keyboards. I started writing tunes for family, wife, her mom (RIP) and my mom, very much alive almost 100, and sister and grandkids, I think I have about 16 compositions just for family members and have as many more to go, 25 grandkids (That I know of anyway

    If you want to hear my stuff, acoustic folk like tunes fingerpicking and such, PM me and I'll ship you my link to Soundcloud.

    Do you think the inmates learned much in those kind of schools? I guess it was on a voluntary basis, maybe they got reduced sentences for attending class? What did you teach them? How did you get involved in that profession? Did they pay more teaching at a prison?
  14. 21 Mar '18 15:28
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Well, on a positive note, I picked up the guitar and played it for a couple of hours today. Even wrote a couple of tunes, didn't record anything though but it is good to see my creative chops have not left. I have 62 tracks on Soundcloud, a music uploading site with literally thousands of really impressive musicians and I have about 5000 listens there now, ...[text shortened]... teach them? How did you get involved in that profession? Did they pay more teaching at a prison?
    That's great to hear about your music-making. What a joy that must be for you. I could have been a great singer...only one problem..I didn't have any talent!
    I helped the prisoners get ready to take the GED test. And no, it wasn't voluntary. Here in MI there is a law that states any prisoner without a GED or HS diploma must be in school and earn their GED before paroling. So if they decide that they don't want to go, then they realize that they might not get out when they'd like. I think I made a difference.
    I got interested in prison work through chess! I went with a team of MI chess players to play a team of prisoners. Interesting how things work out, right?