Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 16 Sep '10 09:02
    How many people actually use the conditional moves feature? I use it a lot and am often surprised when an opponent hasn't entered one for an obvious or otherwise forced force of mine.

Rob
  2. 16 Sep '10 09:37
    Originally posted by BaronVonChickenpants
    How many people actually use the conditional moves feature? I use it a lot and am often surprised when an opponent hasn't entered one for an obvious or otherwise forced force of mine.

Rob
    Once, playing as White, I found myself in this position and decided to try out the new conditional move feature:

Game 7418192

The next day when I logged on I saw this:

😞
  3. 16 Sep '10 11:46
    I also missed 18. Qe6+ in my analysis.

Moral of the story: Don't play conditional moves!
  4. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    17 Sep '10 01:38

Rob
    I usually put in a conditional move if I have a specific tactic in mind and I want to make sure I don't forget the idea. I also use it for forced recaptures, etc, or for easily won games where my opponent should have resigned, and I can easily predict the course of the game.

I specifically AVOID using it when I need more time to work on a game- even if it's an obvious recapture, it gives me an extra move to play to reset the time bank until I have worked out what I am going to do beyond that move.
  5. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    17 Sep '10 17:26 / 1 edit

Rob
    I tend to use it for forced mates.
  6. 17 Sep '10 17:41
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    I also missed 18. Qe6+ in my analysis.

Moral of the story: Don't play conditional moves!
    ??? What was the position you entered a conditional move? Perhaps I'm missing something here?
  7. 17 Sep '10 18:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by enrico20
    ??? What was the position you entered a conditional move? Perhaps I'm missing something here?
    I played out a 14 move series of conditional moves using Deep Mode - from the position on the board - forgetting that my opponent could castle queenside.

Bathetic.
  8. 17 Sep '10 18:18 / 1 edit
    I played out a 14 move series of conditional moves using Deep Mode - from the position on the board - forgetting that my opponent could castle queenside.

Bathetic.
    Then it means you made a oversight rather than there being a problem with conditional moves. You claimed earlier Moral of the story: Don't play conditional moves! whereas you should say Moral of the story: Check and re-check your calculations before entering conditional moves.

I only play one-movers on conditional moves, but I would have to be extra-careful when using deep-mode.
  9. 17 Sep '10 18:37
    Originally posted by enrico20
    Then it means you made a foresight rather than there being a problem with conditional moves. You claimed earlier [b]Moral of the story: Don't play conditional moves! whereas you should say Moral of the story: Check and re-check your calculations before entering conditional moves.

I only play one-movers on conditional moves, but I would have to be extra-careful when using deep-mode.[/b]
    Yes, my lack of foresight led to an oversight. 😛
  10. 17 Sep '10 18:41
    Yes, my lack of foresight led to an oversight. 😛
    Ya cheeky fellow, edited. 😵