Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    11 Feb '10 03:56
    White to play and win

Discuss
  2. 11 Feb '10 04:20 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    White to play and win

[fen]3B4/8/2B5/1K6/8/8/3p4/3k4 w - - 0 1[/fen]

Discuss
    edit: oops
  3. 11 Feb '10 08:42
    That's very interesting, thanks for posting it. It's pretty obvious that White needs to meneuver his white-squared bishop to d3. I think I know how to do this, but will play around with the position a little longer to make sure I'm right.
  4. 11 Feb '10 09:17
    Yes, using square d3 for a bishop. I think the key is to make d1 and the adjacent squares unavailable for black. I'd start with 1.Ka6 to give the bishops diagonals on both sides. The black squared bishop mainly holds pins on the pawn to give the white squared bishop and king time to go forward or re-maneuver. The king stays behind the two bishops but closes in. It will (should) end with black not being able to cover the pawn.
  5. 11 Feb '10 09:24 / 1 edit
    Yes, 1. Ka6! makes room for the bishops. For example:
    Very nice, it shows instructive the power of the pair of bishops.
  6. 11 Feb '10 10:08
    1. Ka6 was the move I was looking at (honest guv). Nice idea - king gets out the way to give the bishops complete freedom and only moves back in for the kill when the bishops are optimally placed.
  7. 11 Feb '10 11:11
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    1. Ka6 was the move I was looking at (honest guv). Nice idea - king gets out the way to give the bishops complete freedom and only moves back in for the kill when the bishops are optimally placed.
    Yes, but your point of Bd3 is valid too. In the example shown above, black gives square d1 up too easily. Of course that safes a lot of moves.
  8. 11 Feb '10 11:29
    Here's an example of how Black can draw if White tries to move his king in too quickly:

9. 11 Feb '10 12:08
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Yes, but your point of Bd3 is valid too. In the example shown above, black gives square d1 up too easily. Of course that safes a lot of moves.
    Yes, black can play better but finally the bishops will win, for example:
  10. Standard member Exuma
    Anansi
    11 Feb '10 17:58
    Recced. great puzzle!
  11. 11 Feb '10 20:32
    Same here! Very instructive!
  12. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    13 Feb '10 18:53
    Speaking of cool check out http://www.turbulence.org/spotlight/thinking/chess.html