1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 12:402 edits
    There where days when I would rather lose then draw... I had almost no draws in OTB or blitz.

But in the last year I noticed my cowardly tendency to offer draw when attaining superior position against highest rated opponents. I have feeling that I was lucky and that I won't be able to exploit my superior position or pawn advantage. That's just wrong, isn't it ? 🙁
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 12:43
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    There where days where I would rather lose then draw... I had almost no draws in OTB or blitz.

But in the last year I noticed my cowardly tendency to offer draw when attaining superior position against highest rated opponents. I have feeling that I was lucky and that I won't be able to exploit my superior position or pawn advantage. That's just wrong, isn't it ? 🙁
    yes it woosie!
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 12:47
    😞
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 12:48
    There where days where I would rather lose then draw... I had almost no draws in OTB or blitz.

That's a difficult decision to make. It depends on things like your personal schedule, standing in a tournament, game load etc. I'd say it's OK to do this once in awhile, but don't make a habit of it.😏
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 12:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes it woosie!
    Indeed it is the mark of a big sissy fruit.
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 13:00
    There where days when I would rather lose then draw... I had almost no draws in OTB or blitz.

It's understandable, but it is also cowardly. If you ever want to reach and surpass their level then you have to just grit your teeth and try to convert your better positions into wins. You'll certainly lose plenty of games, but you'll win your fair share too and you'll feel very pleased with yourself about those victories.

Tell yourself that you have already proved that you are better than them by obtaining a better position, so why should you let them off the hook and give them an undeserved half point?
  7. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 13:05
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    It's understandable, but it is also cowardly. If you ever want to reach and surpass their level then you have to just grit your teeth and try to convert your better positions into wins. You'll certainly lose plenty of games, but you'll win your fair share too and you'll feel very pleased with yourself about those victories.

Tell yourself that you have al ...[text shortened]... er position, so why should you let them off the hook and give them an undeserved half point?
    Yes, I get your point. Usually I offer draws when I sense they were carelles because they underestimated me but I guess they could still crush my in the resulting position with a bit more effort. However, it seems that not much can be learnt from such a draw.
  8. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 13:31

In some of my OTB games when I got better position against higher rated player I had wish to offer a draw, but could get over myself and usually did not regret about it. Should be said that draw offer against stronger opponent your opponent will take as sign of your weakness and may not agree in hope to overplay you due to your psychological weakness.
  9. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 13:33

A lot of it must go down to how you're feeling and the position.

I had a superior position against a higher rated player(+43 BCF), he offered a draw I declined and went on to win (timeout).

And yes, I had been lucky. 😛
  10. Subscriberjankrb
    Conductor
    Zwolle
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 13:48
    Originally posted by Korch
    In some of my OTB games when I got better position against higher rated player I had wish to offer a draw, but could get over myself and usually did not regret about it. Should be said that draw offer against stronger opponent your opponent will take as sign of your weakness and may not agree in hope to overplay you due to your psychological weakness.
    Good point Korch. He (Ivan2908) just offered me two draws in the 2009 championship. When we take our time and play to the end, one game will end in a draw; in the other one Ivan2908 has a better position. When I accept, I am sure not to get into the second round of the championship. So I have to continue and win both games.
    That's one reason for me to refuse to accept the draws. And unfortunately he hasn't got much time. ( 11 days for him / 56 days for me ) So that's another reason not to take his offer seriously.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree