1. Joined
    05 Nov '10
    Moves
    28 May '11 09:181 edit
    Hey All,

If someone would be so kind as to tear my game apart for me. I played white - 1298 - against 1440. I feel that it was a good win, but I know I still have a LONG way to go. Thanks for any help/advice you may have.

2. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    28 May '11 11:05
    You played an active game, but in the end you were lucky not to lose the game. Here are a few moves where you could have done better:

8. Bxh7+ (instead of Bg5) wins immediately at least a piece because if Kxh7 then 9.Ng5 Kg6 (Kh8 loses after Qxh5) 10.g4 etc...

10. Qxh5 (instead of the retreat Bd2) because of hxg5?? 11.Qh7#

15. better than Nf4 was f4 because after Nf4, black could neutralize the attack with Qg5 (instead of Qc5) and be only a pawn behind

16. the attack with Ng6 was premature and should probably have lost you the game. Black missed your simple checkmate threat after your 23.Bd8 but could have had a much better position with 23. ... Bd7 or c6

It's mostly tactics where you went wrong, and so did your opponent, luckily for you.
  3. e4
    Moves
    28 May '11 12:48
    I do like the sequence from move 22 and this will
    feature on a blog near you sometime soon.

Good post. All the ideas are there you just need to take your time.
    As a non-sub there is no excuse for having too many games.

When you feel there are tricks and tactics on take
    the screen postion to a board and move the pieces about.
    New ideas appear, old ones are shelved. (but never forgotten).
  4. on your backrank!
    Moves
    29 May '11 13:54
    one idea that has not been mentioned is 13.Bxh6 - i think it works!
    gxh6 Qxh6 f5 could be met by g4, no?

good game and very nice checkmate.
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '10
    Moves
    30 May '11 15:10
    Thanks all for the help. I've added it to my notes - Take care!
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 May '11 22:136 edits
    16. fxg was a mistake in my book. You should've captured the pawn with the knight, which would've given you a much stronger position, as well as not being down a knight unnecessarily. I see why you didn't, but this was a HUGE gamble (assuming you intentionally didn't capture his pawn with your knight). Had black taken your bishop with his knight at move 22, you would've been in a world of trouble.

Apart from that, you seem to be somewhat of a risk-taker. That can be a double-edged sword, but it worked for you in the final moves of the game. I like how Black had a false sense of security in taking your pieces (at the end), only to find out this was his downfall. Kudos there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree