Daily chess thought

Daily chess thought

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
18 Apr 10

Originally posted by wormwood
how does one obtain a point of strategic advantage?
Material is easy to give points to. (Pawn=1p, Rook=5p etc...)
It's harder to put points to strategical advantages. Like if I can destroy his kings pawn-protection, what will that be worth? A pawn? Or two?
Material isn't everything, there are other advantages too.

o
Art is hard

Moves
18 Apr 10

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Never mind that... I'm still trying to figure out how he'd refuse to let his opponent sac something that's sound.
Just sit there and frown. Then tell your opponent "I refuse" and take the move back. Congratulations you have now successfully refuted a sound sack.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
18 Apr 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas

It's harder to put points to strategical advantages. Like if I can destroy his kings pawn-protection, what will that be worth? A pawn? Or two?
well that's what I'm asking. is it a pawn, or is it two? how do you know it's worth anything?

MA
Nyuszi, golyó!

Moves
18 Apr 10

If you are under 25 it's worth two pawns
If you are between 25 and 50 it's worth one
And over 50 you can start counting age backwards.

-MA

r

Moves
19 Apr 10

Material is easy to give points to. (Pawn=1p, Rook=5p etc...)
Material isn't everything, there are other advantages too.
Spoken like a true master. I am humbled.

F

Moves
19 Apr 10

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Never mind that... I'm still trying to figure out how he'd refuse to let his opponent sac something that's sound.
Never said that, did I?

I was just trying to say that when my opponent is doing a bad sac, I'm happy. Obvious, isn't it?

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
19 Apr 10

I think it's good to move some pawns forward a square or two early on.

I like moving the knights. It's so cool how they make those little L shapes.

I keep trying to move my bishops to the other colors but I can't ever seem to manage to do it.

I think the Queen has hidden powers. I'm going to figure out what they are some day.

Those castles are so square! OMG.

What's with the King? Why is he so lazy? I like putting him to work.

E
Anansi

Woodshed

Moves
19 Apr 10

Originally posted by coquette

I keep trying to move my bishops to the other colors but I can't ever seem to manage to do it.

I think the Queen has hidden powers. I'm going to figure out what they are some day.

🙂

p
Highlander

SEAsia

Moves
19 Apr 10
1 edit

One point of material advantage is exactly the same worth as one point of strategic advantage.
So says the Mouth of Sauron:-)

F

Moves
19 Apr 10

Originally posted by peacedog
So says the Mouth of Sauron:-)
Then he is right in saying so.

People tend to forget about strategic advantages, which is much harder to quantify their value. Silman lave taught me about inequalities, that you can change one advantage (material) to another (controlling open lines or such). Spielemann in his book about sacrifices points this out too.

p
Highlander

SEAsia

Moves
19 Apr 10

The relationship between time, space and material are well documented so that even a weak player such as myself can understand it. It's applying this knowledge that is the hard part.

It was the wording that I was commenting on.

F

Moves
19 Apr 10

Originally posted by peacedog
The relationship between time, space and material are well documented so that even a weak player such as myself can understand it. It's applying this knowledge that is the hard part.

It was the wording that I was commenting on.
We have a lot to learn from the Mouth of Sauron. 🙂

L

Moves
26 May 10

About the King: there was a cartoon in The New Yorker that showed the King saying to his Queen:

"Dammit, Gwendolyn, you knew when you married me that I only move one square at a time."

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
27 May 10

One night a friend and I stayed a little too long at Dollar Pitcher night at our local hangout, and I ended up with two bishops of the same color, without promoting a pawn. Beer is never an alibi, but...

And as far as the Queen's special powers, I am a gentleman, and I will never tell.

Paul😉

MR

Moves
27 May 10

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
One night a friend and I stayed a little too long at Dollar Pitcher night at our local hangout, and I ended up with two bishops of the same color, without promoting a pawn.
Maybe one of those undiscovered rules of chess that Richard Feynman talked about here:

Er, then again, maybe not. 😵