1. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 20:29
    Why is it that players are alowed to consult game databases during play? Is this not unfair as they may play a better move then they could think of?
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 20:30
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Why is it that players are alowed to consult game databases during play? Is this not unfair as they may play a better move then they could think of?
    Educate yourself:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correspondence_chess
  3. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 20:36
    Originally posted by zebano
    Educate yourself:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correspondence_chess
    Careful here, that is not the RHP bible. For instance where it says: "That certain forms of assistance, including books, chess databases and sometimes chess programs, are often allowed. "
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 20:381 edit
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Careful here, that is not the RHP bible. For instance where it says: "That certain forms of assistance, including books, chess databases and sometimes chess programs, are often allowed. "
    I'm merely trying to point out that this is a correspondence site not regular chess. Besides not the end of that sentence "are often allowed." It is traditional in CC to allow book usage. In fact just quoting the whole paragraph works well.

Time limits in correspondence play are usually between 30 and 60 days for every 10 moves (plus transmission time in postal chess). This time allows for far deeper calculation, meaning that blunders can be less frequent. Certain forms of assistance, including books, chess databases and sometimes chess programs, are often allowed. Books and databases are almost universally acceptable, but organizations vary as to whether chess engine use is permitted. Hobby players new to the distinctive appeal of correspondence chess sometimes shun all assistance.
  5. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 20:42
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    I agree.
    Anyone who, for instance, plays a book line of the Ruy Lopez or open Sicilian defence to move 10 should also receive an instant ban.
    We need some 1200's on the first page of the player tables - it would give the site much more kudos.
  6. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 20:49
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    I agree.
    Anyone who, for instance, plays a book line of the Ruy Lopez or open Sicilian defence to move 10 should also receive an instant ban.
    We need some 1200's on the first page of the player tables - it would give the site much more kudos.
    LOL

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree