Well, Botvinnik got his title through a FIDE tournament so... 😉

He had hair when he had the title! 🙂
  3. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 22:25
    Originally posted by IDAVID
    Although some will say that this is a "point-of-view" type of a question, there is an answer that is universally considered correct by most chess experts. (including myself teehee:>😉

Ok, here we go:

Who was (no longer alive) the greatest player never to win the World Championship?

Who will win Davy Jones chess Challenge part 1!?
    Thinking about this if there wasn't the need for the player to be dead I'd say Karpov. He never won the world championship, he gained it by default twice and defended it numerous times.
  4. Austin TX
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 22:303 edits
    I will suggest Kashdan, Reshevsky and Bogoljugubov as three candidates. Of those three, my guess would be Kashdan.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 22:39
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    Curve ball, what about Hans Berliner?😉
    Hans Berliner is probably the greatest player in history who wrote a book arguing that White wins by force. ("The System" is the title of his book.)
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 22:43
    Originally posted by QR
    I will suggest Kashdan, Reshevsky and Bogoljugubov as three candidates. Of those three, my guess would be Kashdan.
    In the early 1930's, Alekhine himself thought that Kashdan would be the next World Champion. Unfortuantely, Kashdan had a family and had to give up playing chess for a living. Oh, what might have been...
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 23:02
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Hans Berliner is probably the greatest player in history who wrote a book arguing that White wins by force. ("The System" is the title of his book.)
    But I think he is still alive and hence ineligible to win this prize.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 23:04
    man, and I thought when I first saw the thread that Keres would win it hands down...
    great debate folks!
  9. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 00:52
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    man, and I thought when I first saw the thread that Keres would win it hands down...
    great debate folks!
    Paul Keres was a strong player but he had personal problems that kept him from playing well all of the time. When his country was having trouble it affected his play. Thus he was not able to play chess as well as he could have? Keres played belowed his level too many times? Rubinstein would have beaten Lasker but was denied a match? Bronstein drew a title match with Botvinnik but he had outside pressure too lose. Botvinnik was a very strong player so a drawn match with him is a considerable accomplishment.
  10. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 00:55
    Nezhmetdinov!But that's probably not very objective 🙂
    If not him then Bronstein or Keres.
  11. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 02:55
    I will suggest Efim Geller, who had a positive score against Euwe, Botvinnik, Smyslov, Petrosian and Fischer, as noted by chessgames.com. Additionally he has wins against Spassky, Tal, and Karpov.

But my opinion is that Keres is the best of the deceased not to become World Champion.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 03:081 edit
    I would say Pillsbury but he died too soon. So I'm goin' to have to say Akiba Rubenstein the master of Rook and Pawn endgames.
  13. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    18 Oct '07 05:37
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Pillsbury
    Oh yes, he had marvelous attacking abilities. Great chess player. Great crescent rolls too. 🙂
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '07 06:291 edit
    Originally posted by IDAVID
    Although some will say that this is a "point-of-view" type of a question, there is an answer that is universally considered correct by most chess experts. (including myself teehee:>😉

Ok, here we go:

Who was (no longer alive) the greatest player never to win the World Championship?

Who will win Davy Jones chess Challenge part 1!?
    I think I got it.... Morphy! Because back then they didn't have a world chess champion.
  15. London
    Moves
    20 Oct '07 06:40
    Ruy Lopez!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree