1. Joined
    22 May '07
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 22:47
    I think if you are playing someone who probably doesn't know a ton about chess, the best opening is to go e4 and head for giuoco piano--a lot of people with little knowledge of openings will blunder here.

1. e4 e5
    2. Nf3 Nf6
    This is petrov's defense and is totally legit, if you are familiar with how to play it... if you aren't, it can be bad, here is an example:
    3. Nxe5 Nxe4?
    4. Qe2 Nf6??
    5. Nc6+!! And now he has no way to save his queen from your knight. Doesn't always work that well, but in general if he takes the pawn directly rather than first driving away your knight, it leads to bad positions for him.

or try this...
    1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 f6?
    3.Nxe5! fxe5
    4. Qh5+ Now he either blocks with 4 ...g6 followed by you taking the e pawn and then his rook, or he moves his king forward, followed by you taking the epawn and potentially starting a king hunt. Either way, you come out way ahead on what he will first think was a stupid knight sacrifice.

Also mentioned was the Fried Liver attack and a rather aggressive way to counter it--some people might not even notice what you are doing, and many will not deal with it appropriatly allowing you to become more aggressive still and gain a much better position--either way, its also worth trying and stems from giuoco piano.

Of course, if they REALLY suck you can just scholars mate them, but generally the above moves are at least secure even against skilled players, leading to often times fun and/or fairly balanced play.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 02:03
    I would like to recommend "Winning Chess Openings" by Yasser Seirawan for the beginning player. He explains basic opening strategy and how these strategies are utilized in the major openings.
  3. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 09:25
    First I think we must look at the definiton of a decent opening. In my humble opinion a decent opening must be

-Simple, offering as little and compact theory as possible.
    -Classic, one that occupies the center and lets the pieces out quickly.
    -Sound. An opening that equalizes for white and comes off slightly worse for black is suitable and considered sound.

Next, you should know your weaknesses. If, for example, your tactics are horrible, you might want to play open games. Note that we are not trying to work around the problem, but we're aiming to solve it.

10 months ago, my tactics were incompetent, to say the least. To solve it, I played the Sicilian Defence even if I didin't know a lot of theory (theory is a must if you want to play the Sicilian seriously). I was slightly/or clearly worse in most of the openings, but the ensuing tactical junge made it anybody's game.

Someone has said thet below 2000, every opening is sound. But playing openings that obey the criteria above will teach you more.
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 09:402 edits
    Originally posted by anthias
    If, for example, your tactics are horrible, you might want to play open games. Note that we are not trying to work around the problem, but we're aiming to solve it.
    I am sorry but I must disagree with this statement. Open games are highly tactical and should be avoided if your tactics are horrible.

So examples of openings to avoid in such circumstances
    (1) Most gambits, eg Kings Gambit, Morra (Smith) Gambit;
    (2) Ruy Lopez, Open;
    (3) Modern Benoni.

There are many others but all are complex tactically.

Rather stick with closed strategical games. Try the French and Caro Cann as black which are harder for white to open up tactically than 1. ... e5 or 1. ... c5 and 1. d4 as white.

However, I agree with the need to know your weaknesses. Then experiment with openings that play to your strengths and try and lead your opponent down those lines.
  5. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 09:491 edit
    I think that players that are rated below 2000 are too weak to have certain strengths or weaknesses. It is too early to prefer closed games over open, tactical games because there is still a huge, huge room of knowledge to fill.
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 10:351 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I am sorry but I must disagree with this statement. [b]Open games are highly tactical and should be avoided if your tactics are horrible.
    [/b]
    A good way to improve your tactics is to play open games, even if it means losing.
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 10:45
    Originally posted by BFM
    A good way to improve your tactics is to play open games, even if it means losing.
    Agreed, if that is your objective but the question is not "What should I play to improve my tactics" when Gambits and Open games would be the answer but "What opening is best for me" when, if your tactical play is weak, the best thing is to avoid those lines.
  8. Under Cover
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 11:372 edits
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Any recomendations for a few openings to try and master? This is from the point of veiw of someone who normally moves randomly at the start of games and knows nothing about the various advantages or disadvantages of any openings.
    First of all, don't try to master any of them (not yet anyway). I don't know what your experience is, but if you pick up a general opening book like Improve Your Opening Play (GM Chris Ward, Everyman Chess) which will explain the main lines and basic ideas of many openings. Pick a few that make sense to you and that you are comfortable with, and have a look at them in more depth. Use online databases for that. You can find some here:

http://www.chesslive.de/

http://www.chesslab.com/PositionSearch.html

http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/opening-database.html

Best of luck.

EDIT- There are many books like the one that I described, and any of them could be useful. A couple other good (but older) titles are The Ideas Behind the Chess Openings (Reuben Fine), and How to Win in the Chess Openings (Horowitz).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree