1. e4
    Moves
    17 Nov '22 17:081 edit
    Hi Dillhole

The decline happened over a large number of years. Every year losing 25 points or so
    rating points and then it was suddenly 100's. before they levelled off around about 1400.

A lot of players I grew up and with still alive stopped playing about 20-30 years ago
    when the silly blunders started sneaking in. It was not the fear of losing but not being
    able to maintain a high standard.
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '22
    Moves
    17 Nov '22 17:20
    Chessmaster at any age!
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '22
    Moves
    17 Nov '22 17:20
    The dream lives on.
  4. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    18 Nov '22 15:281 edit
    Maybe is just a problem of Chess players....

If a person that never played, start chess at about 50 .....
    maybe he/she is going to improve with age.

I think starting at 10 is going to use too much brain resources for chess..... at age 50 that person is done.
  5. Joined
    19 Oct '22
    Moves
    20 Nov '22 04:32
    @Schlecter

I think the problem could be answered one way, assuming no biological problems are present, with an Indic perspective. When you have played all your life, naturally, the desire wans because you have satisfied that desire, and/or you have come to realize that you have nothing to prove to anyone anymore, not even to yourself. When you realize that you are not your body, not your mind, then you might have to find a different reason for playing chess (fun rather than trying to score) or quit altogether.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree