1. USA
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 02:28
    To try to absorb what chess book teach me, I make a notebook while studying them. I learn the theme, write some notes, and then I either make up my own example diagrams or use the examples in the book, make them on the computer, print them out, and stick it in my notebook with the tape. Next to it I write how it exemplifies the theme, and the correct moves. I only just started this about 3 or 4 days ago, but I think it helps me spend more time learning than just reading.
  2. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 02:341 edit
    Edit: that was rude
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 11:03
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    To try to absorb what chess book teach me, I make a notebook while studying them. I learn the theme, write some notes, and then I either make up my own example diagrams or use the examples in the book, make them on the computer, print them out, and stick it in my notebook with the tape. Next to it I write how it exemplifies the theme, and the correct mov ...[text shortened]... this about 3 or 4 days ago, but I think it helps me spend more time learning than just reading.
    that probably is the difference between learning from books and learning from books. simply reading a book won't do, you'll have to study and process the book for it to have any kind of impact. otherwise you'll just end up with shallow anecdotal 'knowledge'. and studying a book, any book, properly will give you enormous advantage over simply reading even a hundred books.

it's probably the better the more hours you use going through a book.
  4. Big D
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 16:35
    Originally posted by Gorgar
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think in all of chess history there hasn't been a single top player who read many chessbooks (magazines excluded).They learn by going over mastergames and then just play a ton of games.
    So basically all you need is a few gamecollections.
    But hey,those masters who write all those books have to make a living too 🙂
    Based on your post, I’m guessing that you are new to the world of competitive chess. Most every serious chess player that I know (certainly the professional ones) owns a chess “library” comprised of more books than they will ever read. Owning the books, however, is not enough. You must read and re-read, and then come back later and read them again in order to progress through the game…unless you have the natural talent of a Capablanca.

Also, former world champion Tigran Petrosian was quite fond of Capablanca's books, "My System" and "Chess Praxis" by Aaron Nimzovitch, and "The Art of Sacrifice," by Spielmann. The German chess player, GM Lothar Schmidt owns the largest private chess library in the world (10,000+ volumes). There are many other examples.

Lastly, you mention “game collections,” like you don’t consider them “books.” I disagree. “My Best Games of Chess” vols. I&II by Alekhine; “Three Hundred Chess Games,” by Tarrasch; “My 60 Best Games of Chess” by Fischer; “Keres’ Best Games of Chess,” “Smyslov’s Best Games of Chess,” “Rubenstein’s Chess Masterpieces,” “My Chess Career,” by Capablanca; “Lesson’s From My Games,” by Fine; etc., are some of the finest “books” in all of chess literature.
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 17:001 edit
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    Based on your post, I’m guessing that you are new to the world of competitive chess. Most every serious chess player that I know (certainly the professional ones) owns a chess “library” comprised of more books than they will ever read. Owning the books, however, is not enough. You must read and re-read, and then come back later and read them agai From My Games,” by Fine; etc., are some of the finest “books” in all of chess literature.
    You guessed correct.But what I meant is most masters didn't learn the game from studying a multitude of chessbooks.It's possible they own a large amount later in life but wether they actually study them is yet another question.Obviously I can be wrong.It's not like I know all of them personal.It's just what I came to believe after reading about chess,it's history and it's players.
    Of course gamecollections are books LOL I even think a few well annotated collections is all you need.Study the games of the masters and play a ton trying to apply what you learned from them.That is,I believe,the best way to improve.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree