Do you use a computer?????

Do you use a computer?????

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SA

Moves
26 Mar 09

I've just finished this game.

Game 6064450

On move 54 my opponent asked me.
"Do you use a computer?????"

Is this a common accusation, I mean I didn't particulally play well in the game.

l

Moves
26 Mar 09
1 edit

this is an online chess site. using a computer is sort of a given 🙂

accusations of engine use aren't that common, but unless you're actually using an engine, they aren't anything to worry about. Especially if you're graded below ~2000

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
26 Mar 09

A computer would win quicker than 50+ moves. 😛 Sounds like a sore loser. Just ignore it, I've never had it happen to me, but maybe that says something about the quality of my games. 😳 If it happens again, ask your opponent what specificly made him say that?

Move 54W was pawn x knight = Q+ which is in plain sight for human or computer to gain a piece for a pawn. The computer might choose pawn to e8 = Q, since material is often important to engines.

MR

Moves
26 Mar 09

Originally posted by Steven Anthony

Game 6064450

Is this a common accusation, I mean I didn't particulally play well in the game.
It's a too common accusation in internet chess. Some people think that if they get beaten, their opponent must have been cheating. 😉

If your opponent really thought you might be using an engine, then it's probably a safe bet that he's not going to be leading the rating list here anytime soon. As loaf86 intimated, I'd assume he was wondering whether you use an IBM compatible or a MAC. 🙂

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
26 Mar 09

Game 6064450

Your reply should have been a simple

"To beat you?"

BSU

Moves
26 Mar 09

should take it as a compliment 🙂

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
26 Mar 09

I use an Atari 800 myself. 😳

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
26 Mar 09

don't worry about it, it happens. and for some weird reason especially on the 1200-1400 level, where it can't possibly be an issue.

SA

Moves
26 Mar 09

Thanks for the responses.

It seemed like an accusation but I was polite so I replied.
"I use one at work, i'm a computer programmer."

He never responded back, so I think he was upset at losing.

Lol, if i'm getting accusations at the 1400 levels in a non tournament game, they must be flying around all over the place in tournaments.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
27 Mar 09

Also keep in mind public accusations of cheating and sandbagging are against the TOS here and can earn the person doing it a forum/site ban. As far as in-game messages/pm's, if it gets bad use "send feedback" at the bottom of any page.

d

Moves
27 Mar 09
1 edit

Game 6064450

--nevermind--

c

USA

Moves
28 Mar 09

Game 6064450

No, your opponent is just an idiot

r

Moves
29 Mar 09

Originally posted by adramforall
Your reply should have been a simple

"To beat you?"
LoL