1. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 03:59
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    does it really help to solve difficult problems? have very strong players cracked their head off for 30 minutes over problems they can't solve?

I've been working with CT-Art for a long time, and the late-40 difficulty questions seem ridiculously difficult to me.

here's the last one I've seen a few minutes ago which made me frustrated:

[fen]4r1k1/ ...[text shortened]... should I stick to 30 difficulty problems -which are fairly difficult, too- forever?
    30 minutes??? I've studied positions in my games on this site for more than 4 hours. Sure, pattern recognition of any kind has to help. The only problem is that you're not going to get much from single problems; it takes thousands of problems and thousands of positions to build a network of ideas.
  2. USA
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 23:07
    I've had the same problem the OP has had, and I've found that it is more helpful to do easier problems many times, so that when you play a real game you will never miss a 3 move tactic, which at my level (approx 1700 USCF) seem to come up much more often than the more difficult ones.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 08:06
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    You shouldnt view difficult chess problems (outside your ability) as problems to solve...although that should be your ultimate goal. While you are thinking about the problem you are gaining much more benefit than just tactical solving, mainly increasing how easily you slip into that state of totally chess concentration. If you think of you chess ability at ...[text shortened]... used to thinking deeply in that chess trance you should find your chess performance increasing.
    I'll take your word, and just try to get there (to more difficult problems) before I do the easier ones again. I really have a problem with my thinking process, and concentration has its role.

thanks everyone for ideas and advices.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree