Does your view on chess change?

Does your view on chess change?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
14 Nov 10
2 edits

My view is that I love to see how I do things well. I hate to see myself play poorly. I'm a rather poor sport and really hate to lose.

Does this ever change? Has anyone ever changed from my point of view to being able to appreciate the other person's play? Or am I most likely to continue with my self centered point of view?

To tell you the true, I'd say a majority of chess players I've run into have pretty much my point of view. I don't think it is uncommon at all.

Edit: not that I get mad all of the time, but I can tell you one thing, I never appreciate a good move unless its mine. 😀

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
14 Nov 10

Great chess moves stop traffic.

D

Moves
14 Nov 10

I actually don't take it personally if i'm being outplayed. What gets me is when I do something which I wouldn't have done yesterday. I would have thought it silly, probably should still think of it as silly, and it is actually silly. Then I do it and feel silly afterwards.

I don't get to see many spectacular moves. Most of them are prevented in advance by me or my opponent. If someone's then able to play chess better than me, using those little moves that just gradually build up until suddenly you're in a thoroughly uncomfortable position, or able to mix things up and see through the complications better than you - well, i'm all for that. In fact, they'll go on my list for a rematch. I'd lose like that 20 times in a row and still come back for more!

B

Moves
14 Nov 10

Originally posted by Eladar
My view is that I love to see how I do things well. I hate to see myself play poorly. I'm a rather poor sport and really hate to lose.

Does this ever change? Has anyone ever changed from my point of view to being able to appreciate the other person's play? Or am I most likely to continue with my self centered point of view?

To tell you the true, I ...[text shortened]... the time, but I can tell you one thing, I never appreciate a good move unless its mine. 😀
Try to thing we are not the best in the world and we don't thing of to be the one. When we are not the best then we can be beaten.

Even GMs were beaten occasionally.

E

Moves
14 Nov 10

I've brought up my character defect before. I have noticed that I've gotten a lot better with it. My win loss ratio at FICS is nearly one to one, which means that my present ratio is more than one to one. I did a lot of losing when I first started playing.

I don't know if I'll ever consistantly appreciate good moves by my opponents, espeically ones that catch me off guard and are winning moves, but I do know chess has forced me to deal with my demons. How I reacted to them in sports doesn't really work well in chess or life. It's caused me to grow up a bit.

c

Moves
14 Nov 10

The only person I get mad at is myself!! But I only do that if I make a VERY bad move.

If the other person out plays me so be it. I can take a good thrashing with the best chess players out there. But...when I make a bad move I have to commence to kicking myself.

E

Moves
15 Nov 10

When I get mad, I get mad at myself. I'll sit there and cuss myself out left and right for being an idiot if I'm in the mood. Never do I get mad at an opponent, unless it is otb and the opponent is acting like a cocky turd.

T

Moves
15 Nov 10

Oddly enough I dont mind losing, UNLESS it is to a computer (see youtube "Chess Games - Tiwaking vs Wii"😉. If it is against the computer then I will try everything I can to win, short of doing a greenpawn34 'pulling the power cord and calling a draw'.

I know that OTB I am a pretty terrible player and survive only by the seat of my pants. I know my limits.

A great chess player shouldnt have limits.

K

Moves
15 Nov 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Tiwaking
Oddly enough I dont mind losing, UNLESS it is to a computer (see youtube "Chess Games - Tiwaking vs Wii"😉. If it is against the computer then I will try everything I can to win, short of doing a greenpawn34 'pulling the power cord and calling a draw'.
Same with me, only computers throw me off balance.

Solution1. Never play computers
Solution2. Mock computers! 😀 Compose chess studies (position) that a human can comprehend, but which computers completely misevaluate. (In such a position, I always win against computers, computers never win against me.)

B

Moves
15 Nov 10

Originally posted by Bahari
Try to think we are not the best in the world and we don't think of to be the one. When we are not the best then we can be beaten.

Even GMs were beaten occasionally.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
15 Nov 10

I certainly have been humbled. I thought I was quite good until I joined this site. 😞

My thoughts of becoming a GM is now just a distant memory.

Moves
15 Nov 10

I think that the important thing to remember here is that you can play well and still lose. You're always in control of whether you play well or play poorly. You aren't always in control of whether you win or lose. There are times when you are simply outmatched. When you're playing well and you're still getting beat, that is your best opportunity to learn something, instead of getting upset.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
15 Nov 10

Originally posted by lausey
I certainly have been humbled. I thought I was quite good until I joined this site. 😞

My thoughts of becoming a GM is now just a distant memory.
Once you go online, you are toe to toe with the top 10% of the field. Unlike a lot of other activities, you find out real fast where you stand.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
16 Nov 10

To tell you the true, I ...[text shortened]... the time, but I can tell you one thing, I never appreciate a good move unless its mine. 😀
I think the short answer is "yes" your view will change in time. I don't know of anyone who enjoys losing, but after many games, one can appreciate the fact they will play well, despite losing. I think this will happen sooner for some, than others.🙂

w

Moves
18 Nov 10

I'd rather play a good game and lose than play a cheap game and win. Nobody likes to lose but winning simply because the other guy gave his queen away always makes me feel a little hollow.
But nothing is worse than blundering like a hairless ape, hearing the other guy's howling laughter filtering through the server, lying awake at night feeling like a watermelon masquerading as a human being... no I don't like that one bit...