1. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    18 Jul '13 13:271 edit
    My first thread on the theme of the double bishop sac was Thread 88087. A quick search told me that after that thread of mine there was another one were this theme was discussed Thread 152894.

As was discussed in the second thread the conditions that are needed for a double bishop sac to be sound are (quoting from this page: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1035516&kpage=1):
    "(A) Weakly defended king with no escape on f7/f8.
    (B) The "Horowitz bishops" pointing at g7/h7.
    (C) A rook ready to lift in for the fatal check.
    (D) No good way to block the check.

Everything's in your shopping cart, so it's time to ring the register! ca-ching!"

So it happens that was happily playing a game of mine and a sound double bishop sac presented itself to me. But I didn't have the Horowitz (Horwitz?) bishops in the traditional way, nor did I need a rook lift to take the full point. Anyway I rolled with it ansd sac'd the first bishop on h7 likes it's called for, gave the check on h5 with my queen likes it's called for, but then sac'd the bishop on f6, incidentally the first documented double bishop sac would have been sound if the second bishop was sac'd on f6 rather than on g7 (that's why we have the name Lasker's combination instead of Owen's combination...):

A game that Miles obviously studied as you can see here:

Anyway, enough with GM games and let us step into my own game:

As you can see my double bishop sac was unorthodox, but it was sound.

PS: I could have played 16. Qh6 and the game would be over quick, but I was expecting my opponent to resign instead of playing 15. ... g6. Since he played on, I decided to play on too
  2. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    18 Jul '13 17:122 edits
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    My first thread on the theme of the double bishop sac was Thread 88087. A quick search told me that after that thread of mine there was another one were this theme was discussed Thread 152894.

As was discussed in the second thread the conditions that are needed for a double bishop sac to be sound are (quoting from this pag laying 15. ... g6. Since he played on, I decided to play on too
    1. Please post notes in your games, you can do so like this:

1 d4 { Put your notes in the curly braces like this. } d5 { bla bla bla } 2.c4

2. Welcome back to the site and a nice post.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Jul '13 17:27

As was discussed in the second thread the conditions that are needed for a double bishop sac to be sound are (quoting from this pag ...[text shortened]... laying 15. ... g6. Since he played on, I decided to play on too
    I'd think you'd see ...dxe4 more often than ...Nge7, but I don't really know this opening.

The pawn structure is similar to the French Defense, and black usually plays ...f6 before white's attack gets too scary. But here black was oblivious to the danger.

The 2nd Bishop sac was nice because it blocked the usual ...f6 which provides an escape for the K. Reminds me of this one.

4. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    23 Jul '13 11:21

As was discussed in the second thread the conditions that are needed for a double bishop sac to be sound are (quoting from this pag ...[text shortened]... laying 15. ... g6. Since he played on, I decided to play on too
    There is too much Colle the first two games. The first is a pure Colle and the second is a reversed Colle!
  5. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 13:26
    The idea is indeed the same. In a couple of my games I've also used the idea of blocking the f pawn with my rook (sometimes even making an exchange sac), but always after having my opponent push his g pawn. Now I have one more idea to put in my chess bag.
  6. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 13:31
    Originally posted by Tygert
    There is too much Colle the first two games. The first is a pure Colle and the second is a reversed Colle!
    Just to show you how good of an opening the Colle is.

PS: I'll follow your advice and post the game with a few comments
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 14:362 edits
    Now with comments:

8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 18:46
    Now with comments:

[pgn][Event "Live Chess"] [Site "Chess.com"] [Date "2013.07.17"] [Round "?"] [White "adam warlock"] [Black "NN"] [Result "1-0"] [ECO "B15"] [WhiteElo "1296"] [BlackElo "1250"] [Opening "Caro-Kann defence"] [Termination "adam warlock won by checkmate"] 1. d4 d5 2. e4 {The Blackmar–Diemer Gambit. Play usually goes 1. d4 d5 2. e4 dxe4 ...[text shortened]... mber the "half-pin" on the queen).} 22. Qg8# 1-0[/pgn]
    Half-pinning was a term used by Nimzovich in My System with the same meaning as in your comments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree