Dragon Theory

Dragon Theory

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
28 Aug 07

Originally posted by Ice Cold
Winning With the Dragon by IM Chris Ward
Ward also has videos which are excellent.
I have Winning Wwith the Scillian Dragon 2 By Chris Ward. Its a good book but a lot of the Yugoslav Attack lines are very outdated. So the orignal would be even more outdated.

h

Moves
28 Aug 07

Originally posted by theriot20
I have Winning Wwith the Scillian Dragon 2 By Chris Ward. Its a good book but a lot of the Yugoslav Attack lines are very outdated. So the orignal would be even more outdated.
I already have WWTD 2 (read my original post)

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
28 Aug 07

Originally posted by h9i9j9
I already have WWTD 2 (read my original post)
WWTD 2 is useful and instructive for everything except 9. 0-0-0 and 9. Bc4 in the Yugoslav. Those lines are outdated, but the coverage of everything else is still quite good.

h

Moves
28 Aug 07

Thank you Tony, I will trust the theory more in "Play the Dragon" than WWTD 2.🙂

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
28 Aug 07

Originally posted by h9i9j9
Thank you Tony, I will trust the theory more in "Play the Dragon" than WWTD 2.🙂
It should be more like, "Thank you Tony, I will trust the theory in "Play the Sicilian Dragon", and nothing else, because it's too outdated." 😀

h

Moves
28 Aug 07

lol

A
Dark Matter

Maastricht

Moves
28 Aug 07

Originally posted by !~TONY~!
It should be more like, "Thank you Tony, I will trust the theory in "Play the Sicilian Dragon", and nothing else, because it's too outdated." 😀
Nonono you guys forget the fact that good old Chris Ward has enlightened us with a second and newer version of his already very good Winning With The Sicilian Dragon, named WWTD part 2 (duh!).
Take that book, because it's pretty new and is really well written and easy to understand. For extra information on specific lines you can try the database here on the site: www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer
Now you should have enough on the Dragon. Have fun (as I did the last five years 😀😀😀😀) and blow your Dragon's breath all over your opponents 😵 😉

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
29 Aug 07
2 edits

If you read the above posts I acknowledged the sequel, but if by new you mean 6 years old, then that's fine. The ..Qa5 lines against the 9. Bc4 Yugoslav and the 9..Nxd4 followed by ..Be6 lines against 9. 0-0-0 are both considered second rate and not so hot these days. It's not a good book anymore. It was incredible when it came out, but not now.

h

Moves
29 Aug 07
2 edits

psss...Asthereal: I already own WWTD2 if you read any of my posts!

I

Moves
06 Sep 07

I'd recommend "Easy Guide to the Dragon" by Mikhail Golubev (Everyman Chess). The previously recommended book by Steve Mayer on the Soltis is also superb. To be honest, there is no substitute for home preparation. If you want to perform well with the Dragon up to a high level then you'll need to be finding your own ideas in some of the main lines.

Keep buying games databases too and play through the most recent games in the mainlines in the most recent games. I hope this post is useful.

n
The Ever Living

Third Earth

Moves
06 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Intermezzo
I'd recommend "Easy Guide to the Dragon" by Mikhail Golubev (Everyman Chess). The previously recommended book by Steve Mayer on the Soltis is also superb. To be honest, there is no substitute for home preparation. If you want to perform well with the Dragon up to a high level then you'll need to be finding your own ideas in some of the main lines.

Keep ...[text shortened]... the most recent games in the mainlines in the most recent games. I hope this post is useful.
Hey Dave, didn't know you did the forums!!

Didn't think you could resist giving your opinion on the Dragon!
We have had some good games OTB in it 😉

I like Play the Dragon by Eddie Dearing!

See You Monday maybe when I will try to defend my Club Individual title!!