1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 14:40
    I have been playing the dragon lately, and I think all my OTB opponents out theory me. So since I know there are a lot of dragon fans out there, can someone offer a website of a book that cover a lot of dragon theory (especially the Yugoslav). By the way I own Winning with the dragon 2 but Chris Ward does not cover a lot of theory, it just gives ideas.
  2. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 14:56
    I think Eragon's got some good dragon theory.
  3. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 15:04
    Dragon's don't exist. They are a fairy tale. Phhltt! You'de think people who play chess would be smarter, but hey...😉
  4. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 15:24
    Originally posted by h9i9j9
    I have been playing the dragon lately, and I think all my OTB opponents out theory me. So since I know there are a lot of dragon fans out there, can someone offer a website of a book that cover a lot of dragon theory (especially the Yugoslav). By the way I own Winning with the dragon 2 but Chris Ward does not cover a lot of theory, it just gives ideas.
    Play the Sicilian Dragon by Dearing. All you could ever want and more.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 15:33
    Originally posted by duecer
    Dragon's don't exist. They are a fairy tale. Phhltt! You'de think people who play chess would be smarter, but hey...😉
    Dragons do exist. I can promise that.
  6. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 15:37
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Dragons[b] do exist. I can promise that.[/b]
    Yes. You have my word on it. AND MY AXE!
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 20:20
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    Yes. You have my word on it. AND MY AXE!
    And MY ASS TOO!
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 20:221 edit
    Thank you TONY, I will check out the book. Can anyone else suggest anything? Except the discussion of reality of dragons!
  9. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 22:28
    I have Gufield's book, I think its called Ultimate Dragon, volume 1, all about the yugoslav attack. It's one of those books that gives line after line of theory and has lots of complete games. I gave up the dragon though because I was getting crushed.
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 22:46
    Thank you TONY, I will check out the book. Can anyone else suggest anything? Except the discussion of reality of dragons!
    Tony is correct.

Buy it.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 03:091 edit
    I've had two helpful users help me. I thank them, but can anyone else think of other material. (I'll be buying the dragon books so I would like to hear other opinions)
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 03:10
    I've had two helpful users help me. I thank them, but can anyone else think of other material. (I'll be buying the dragon books so I would like to hear other opinions)
    I'm not sure you've seen this book. After you do you'll realize there won't be much time for more material.
  13. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 03:13
    Yeah, other books aren't so useful really. Dearing not only gives a very deep repetoire in the strongest lines, but against important or common lines, offers more than one alternatives, and even briefly covers lines he doesn't recommend to give you an idea of some other options. Other books on the Dragon are way too outdated to be recommended. Even the lines in Ward's book are too old and have been shown to be not so good these days. The only other book I could think of to recommend would be Steve Mayer's book on the Soltis Variation, but Dearing takes the best lines from that book, and puts it in his, so it would be redundant. Just buy Dearing's and master it, and you won't need anything else. That's game-set.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 03:151 edit
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Yeah, other books aren't so useful really. Dearing not only gives a very deep repetoire in the strongest lines, but against important or common lines, offers more than one alternatives, and even briefly covers lines he doesn't recommend to give you an idea of some other options. Other books on the Dragon are way too outdated to be recommended. Even the line ant. Just buy Dearing's and master it, and you won't need anything else. That's game-set.
    I think it's worth adding that if you put the time and effort into learning the lines in that book you should find yourself scoring very well when using the dragon.

I meant from the black side, but really it prepares you to play both sides, so I guess it's useful either way. 😉
  15. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 03:16
    Winning With the Dragon by IM Chris Ward
    Ward also has videos which are excellent.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree