1. Standard memberboiledcod
    lord deepwater
    In a hole looking up
    Moves
    18 Jul '10 20:59
    Really frustrated,playing a game that myself and opponent are left with a rook and king each ,I have offered a draw several times but opponent refuses to accept.
    What are my options do we just keep moving around the board forever?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '10 21:041 edit
    Originally posted by boiledcod
    Really frustrated,playing a game that myself and opponent are left with a rook and king each ,I have offered a draw several times but opponent refuses to accept.
    What are my options do we just keep moving around the board forever?
    Not forever. 50 moves is enough. Or find three same positions, not neccessary in sequence. Then you can claim a draw. All according ot the rules of RHP (and not FIDE).
  3. ALG
    Moves
    18 Jul '10 21:06
    Do a lot of conditional moves when you have time.
  4. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    18 Jul '10 21:07
    You must be talking about Game 7450764.

The game should indeed be drawn, but either side could win if the other made a blunder. Your opponent is simply waiting and hoping you make a mistake. As it is, there isn't really anything you can do but play it out until 50 consecutive moves have been made without a capture or a pawn move. At that time, you will be able to claim a draw. You could also attempt to reason with your opponent and tell him that you aren't likely to blunder.

No doubt someone will come and start flaming for explaining the rule, so bring it on....🙂
  5. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    18 Jul '10 23:13
    Actually, I do have a question this. Do we hit 'Claim Draw' on the 100th half-move, the 101st, or the 102nd?

"No piece capture or pawn movement has occurred for over 50 consecutive moves (100 half moves). Therefore the game has not progressed and a draw may be claimed by either player during their next move."

From the above, I'm guessing it's *after* 100 half-moves, meaning the draw is claimed on the 101st move. Is that right?
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 01:29
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    Actually, I do have a question this. Do we hit 'Claim Draw' on the 100th half-move, the 101st, or the 102nd?

"No piece capture or pawn movement has occurred for over 50 consecutive moves (100 half moves). Therefore the game has not progressed and a draw may be claimed by either player during their next move."

From the above, I'm guessing it's *after* 100 half-moves, meaning the draw is claimed on the 101st move. Is that right?
    You can hit the "claim draw" tab any time- if the position is not actually a draw, the system will ignore it.

The cool thing is that if you are not sure the position has repeated 3 times, you can just select the "claim draw" feature, and either it is and you draw, or it isn't and no one is the wiser.
  7. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 01:57
    You think that's frustrating? Have your opponent go on an indefinite vacation after you've snatched his queen!
  8. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 02:21
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    You think that's frustrating? Have your opponent go on an indefinite vacation after you've snatched his queen!
    http://tinyurl.com/5gby3w
  9. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 14:43
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    http://tinyurl.com/5gby3w
    I've always been taught that the polite thing to do is resign when faced with insurmountable odds.

Game 7589445
  10. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 16:35
    I've always been taught that the polite thing to do is resign when faced with insurmountable odds.

Game 7589445
    I too wish that my opponents would resign when they were down a queen with no compensation, but the sad truth is that you can't do anything about it. If he were flying his flag just to avoid losing in your game, I could certainly understand, but it seems he is actually on vacation. You could always consider becoming a subscriber and then it wouldn't be an issue 😉

What does my game have to do with this? 😕
  11. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 20:18
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    I too wish that my opponents would resign when they were down a queen with no compensation, but the sad truth is that you can't do anything about it. If he were flying his flag just to avoid losing in your game, I could certainly understand, but it seems he is actually on vacation. You could always consider becoming a subscriber and then it wouldn't be an issue 😉

What does my game have to do with this? 😕
    As soon as this month's bills are paid I think I will subscribe.

I don't understand the no move resignations I see in some tournaments. Is it some kind of strategy, or do the moves just not get recorded? I would love it if someone rated 400 points ahead of me resigned at move 0.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 20:29
    I would love it if someone rated 400 points ahead of me resigned at move 0.
    Why? You will not recieve any rating points. Your win/loss stats will give change though. And you will get 3 gamepoints in your group. That's all.
  13. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 21:03
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Why? You will not recieve any rating points. Your win/loss stats will give change though. And you will get 3 gamepoints in your group. That's all.
    Ah, I see. Still, I imagine it makes one feel good.
  14. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 22:00
    As soon as this month's bills are paid I think I will subscribe.

I don't understand the no move resignations I see in some tournaments. Is it some kind of strategy, or do the moves just not get recorded? I would love it if someone rated 400 points ahead of me resigned at move 0.
    Subscribers who resign on without making any moves automatically progress to the next round. It doesn't work in the final, but it's an easy way to get there 🙂
  15. Midwest USA
    Moves
    20 Jul '10 00:40
    Rules are rules, made and SET by the powers that be. If the RULES say one can take a vacation during a game; then when YOU whine about it, you are demonstrating it is YOU who are anti-rules. That does NOT sit well with me.

If the rules say that I can PLAY on when it is King and Rook vs. King and Rook, then I dang well WILL. Why are you all SO AGAINST the rules. If it's one thing I hate, it's the anti-rules group.

It's always that SELF-centered bunch of people who have this superiority COMPLEX coupled with a need for contol who strive to manipulate situations in their favor and against everyone else's interests.

You are RUINING the great game of chess.... And I have a PROBLEM with THAT!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree