1. washington
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 16:54
    I was trying to drop my gameload and offered some draws to certain games where no side was really winning. I even told the people why I offered the draw. Most played on, in one game they declined and said this is a fun game lets play on. So obviously I had to move they mess up and i'm up a pawn in an open endgame with a bishop vs a knight and we both have queens and a rook on the board. He offers me a draw, I feel I have a winning position and he offers me a draw, I decline and he sends me a message with my reason for wanting a draw earlier. Don't you think its childish to get pissed at me when I decline his draw offer after he has declined mine? Also if a draw offer is offered by an opponent why does the other one think if they mess up you'll still take a draw in a winning position!
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 17:011 edit
    Originally posted by kmac27
    I was trying to drop my gameload and offered some draws to certain games where no side was really winning. I even told the people why I offered the draw. Most played on, in one game they declined and said this is a fun game lets play on. So obviously I had to move they mess up and i'm up a pawn in an open endgame with a bishop vs a knight and we both have que why does the other one think if they mess up you'll still take a draw in a winning position!
    I agree with you. You have no obligation to take a draw if the position is no longer equal what ever you reason was previously.

I have often agreed 2 draws or agreed mutual resignations of the inferior positions usually because I want to reduce my game load. 90% of the time my offer is accepted as it accurately reflects the position at that time. I would not offer the draw if my opponent was winning and would not take one if I was unless it was marginal and he was the stronger player.

He made you play on initially so what ever the reasons you wanted the draw they are no longer relevant so make him earn it.
  3. washington
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 17:12
    I resign lost games and I have plenty of respect for whoever i am playing. and i also do not offer draws to games i cannot win. since i offered the game though i've dropped 10 games. i'm down to 50 games so its not that hard to manage my games now. cakework. Its like this if you decline a draw and lose its your own fault and don't cry about it.
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 17:38
    I resign lost games and I have plenty of respect for whoever i am playing. and i also do not offer draws to games i cannot win. since i offered the game though i've dropped 10 games. i'm down to 50 games so its not that hard to manage my games now. cakework. Its like this if you decline a draw and lose its your own fault and don't cry about it.
    Absolutely. I have lost track of the drawsI have declined and lost but it works both ways. If, however, you don't take the mikey and only offer draws in genuinely drawn positions they tend to end up draws.
  5. washington
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 17:42
    i played james schroader at a library, the man was at least 75. damn he was good very old school e4 is the best move and e5 is the best reply etc etc. i played him for 3 hours! games were close but most of them at the end he blew me out of the water. one game he offered me a draw, i said this guy is damn good and maybe i have a winning position. i tried a sacrafice and lost but i did have a chance to offer him a draw. i look him up online he was annotating grandmaster games in 1936! he won 50 consecutive games uscf in a row! a record! his rating 2350 and i had a chance to draw him!
  6. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 17:57
    This just happened on ICCF last week. Opponent plays Ke8 and offers a draw. Is he kidding? I decline by playing Bxg7 without comment. He plays Qxg7 and offers another draw. I thought that was just rude. Down an exchange with the a and probably b pawns about to fall. No piece mobility and no counterplay, I replied 'Please demonstrate the drawing line. I must not be good enough to see it.'😛

7. washington
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 18:12
    lol what was he rated?
  8. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 18:41
    FIDE's rules on drawing are covered here:
    http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101

The rules are covered in 9.1 but in the above context 12.6 is more appropriate:

It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. This includes unreasonable claims or unreasonable offers of a draw.

As ever, there could be an argument about what constitutes 'unreasonable'.
    Making an offer in an inferior position may, therefore, be acceptable as there may be reasons that your opponent may accept a draw that could not be foreseen (eg needing to catch the last train home/want to reduce game load). However, once such a draw offer has been declined, unless the position on the board has changed sufficiently to warrant a different (more favourable) evaluation I would say that any further draw offer would constitute an 'unreasonable' offer of a draw.
  9. Dublin
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 22:08
    i played james schroader at a library, the man was at least 75... i look him up online he was annotating grandmaster games in 1936!
    I'd say he's a bit older than 75 so!
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 22:38
    Draw offers should be valid throughout the game. Thus, chess would be way more exciting and ppl would think twice before offering draws. GM draws would be way down.

Move 15, Black offers White a draw. White declines and goes for an all out attack and the crowd roars. It fails miserably and White accepts the draw on move 60 since it's still valid.

Chess ratings go up and I get filthy rich for my idea.

Patented, July 23 16:40.
  11. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 22:46
    [b]i played james schroader at a library...b]
    Are you referring to James R. Schroeder, formerly of Cleveland OH, now living in Vancouver WA? I knew him quite well…he always reminded me of Groucho Marx for some reason. Years ago I helped him with one of his booklets on Lone Pine. If it’s the same guy he has a website at http://isolanis.com
  12. washington
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 23:33
    yes that man beat the hell out of me. i'm sending him a letter asking for lessons. i know he gives them. yes that man knows how the game should be played. great personality fun to be around.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree