1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 23:17
    Hi folks,

Twice in games, I have missed an opponent's draw offer because I had a conditional move in place. The first time, my opponent thought I just ignored the offer without responding, and was a little indignant (as I would be, I should add). I thought that somehow I had just missed it, but I just had another draw offer that was missed because my opponent played a move that triggered one of my conditional moves, so the offer never made it to me. He sent me a message asking if I saw it, and that's the only way I knew. I'm glad he did.

I accepted very quickly, I might add!

I just wanted to know if anyone else has encountered this as an issue. and also to encourage people to confirm offers if they do not get a response, because your opponent may well have just missed it.

Paul
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 23:21
    "Accept draw if offered"
  3. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 23:22
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Hi folks,

Twice in games, I have missed an opponent's draw offer because I had a conditional move in place. The first time, my opponent thought I just ignored the offer without responding, and was a little indignant (as I would be, I should add). I thought that somehow I had just missed it, but I just had another draw offer that was missed because ...[text shortened]... rs if they do not get a response, because your opponent may well have just missed it.

Paul
    I wish they would make the conditional moves for this site exactly the same as chess.com. it just works so smooth there.
    and here if you put one in place you may miss the opponents msg.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 23:31
    Originally posted by irontigran
    I wish they would make the conditional moves for this site exactly the same as chess.com. it just works so smooth there.
    and here if you put one in place you may miss the opponents msg.
    Its impossible to miss the messages. Just click on one of your games and thoroughly examine that specific page. You'll figure it out. 😛
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 23:42
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Its impossible to miss the messages. Just click on one of your games and thoroughly examine that specific page. You'll figure it out. 😛
    I know how to look back at msgs. its just every time the site crashes they are all erased and you cant look back. so msgs can still be missed. also the whole point of conditional moves is convenience. this system is inconvenience...
    its not a matter of not knowing how to use the site, Paul is right here
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 23:45
    I know how to look back at msgs. its just every time the site crashes they are all erased and you cant look back. so msgs can still be missed. also the whole point of conditional moves is convenience. this system is inconvenience...
    its not a matter of not knowing how to use the site, Paul is right here
    Look up at hind's post. ^^
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 23:45
    You get a PM if you miss a conditional move message
  8. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 23:47
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    I know, its happened to me. but checking out a pm then is taking away from the game, which again takes more time away.
    forget it.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 23:48
    Look up at his other one too. ^^
  10. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 23:49
    Look up at his other one too. ^^
    tomtom, youve been problems here for me since day 1, I am blocking you. no need to be an ass all the time
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 00:181 edit
    tomtom, youve been problems here for me since day 1, I am blocking you. no need to be an ass all the time
    Have I really? 😕 I don't think I was being an a but if you feel you need to block me then by all means just do it, no need to notify me. Maybe your day will go better if you don't take me so seriously?
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 04:20
    This is only true if they send a message. A draw offer made through the draw mechanism does not get logged. There actually is no record of a draw offer, unless it is accepted. The first time I asked the site administrators if there was a way, and they told me there was not.

It is true that you can't miss a message (with conditional moves, you actually get a PM indicating that you may have missed a message due to the conditional move), but this is not true for draw offers.

Paul
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 04:57
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Yes, but not for a draw offer. If the opponent does not also send a message with the draw offer, there is no record at all.

Paul
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 06:54
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    This is only true if they send a message. A draw offer made through the draw mechanism does not get logged. There actually is no record of a draw offer, unless it is accepted. The first time I asked the site administrators if there was a way, and they told me there was not.

It is true that you can't miss a message (with conditional moves, you actu ...[text shortened]... ve missed a message due to the conditional move), but this is not true for draw offers.

Paul
    Did you see hind's suggestion? I never use conditional moves so I wouldn't know but apparently there is a box you can check that says, "Accept draw if offered."
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 12:50
    It's the unanticipated offers that catch me out, which basically means I have to start anticipating them, even if I think they are unlikely- this last one caught me completely off guard (pawn down to higher rated player).

My lesson learned is that the board position is only part of someone's decision to offer a draw, so I need to expect the unexpected!

Paul

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree