1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 16:55
    Originally posted by Ajuin
    Offering a draw every move is against the rules.

If you think it's not I suggest you enter any half serious OTB chess tournament make your offers and see what happens.
    It isn't breaking them here. Most of his examples apply to RHP so I assumed all of them were meant to apply to RHP.
  2. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 17:54
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    It isn't breaking them here. Most of his examples apply to RHP so I assumed all of them were meant to apply to RHP.
    Oh

in that case let's pretend I said nothing 🙂
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 18:02
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    This would be considered bad etiquette...
    But you said missing messages as well as draw offers 😛

All your opponent then does is say something each move and your conditional moves are ignored.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 03:20
    [b]So you're saying you don't see GMs breaking etiquette at major tourneys and matches?
    I'm afraid I don't know where you got this. GMs are like any other group of human beings in that you have some with good character, and some with bad character. I have read about very honorable conduct, and about very poor conduct.

I do know that GMs with poor etiquette find themselves invited to fewer and fewer events.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 05:36
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I'm afraid I don't know where you got this. GMs are like any other group of human beings in that you have some with good character, and some with bad character. I have read about very honorable conduct, and about very poor conduct.

I do know that GMs with poor etiquette find themselves invited to fewer and fewer events.
    Modify that because GMs are not "like any other group of human beings." Maybe like any other group of human beings that participate in an activity at the highest competitive level. Imagine that your income depends upon chess... Can you honestly say you wouldn't break some rules of etiquitte if it helped you win?
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 20:05
    Modify that because GMs are not "like any other group of human beings." Maybe like any other group of human beings that participate in an activity at the highest competitive level. Imagine that your income depends upon chess... Can you honestly say you wouldn't break some rules of etiquitte if it helped you win?
    No, I wouldn't, and I am certain I am not the only one.

I am also reminded of the time Fischer was playing in a tournament, and the lights went out when it was his move, and the game clocks were stopped until power could be restored.

Fischer had his clock started again immediately. He said he was still thinking, so his clock should stay running.

i also think that your assumption that any one who performs at the highest level in anything operates from a different moral code is flawed, but this has strayed considerably from chess, so I'll let that one go.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree