Drunk chess

Drunk chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V

Moves
30 Jun 12

So. Despite or perhaps because of being drunk I decided that it would be good time to see if there's any moves needing to be done. Just out of curiosity, how much does being drunk affect your effective rating? Surely someone must've studied this most important aspect of abusing alcohol.

Also, does anyone have stories of actually playing chess while drunk, OTB or otherwise?

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
30 Jun 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Vartiovuori
So. Despite or perhaps because of being drunk I decided that it would be good time to see if there's any moves needing to be done. Just out of curiosity, how much does being drunk affect your effective rating? Surely someone must've studied this most important aspect of abusing alcohol.

Also, does anyone have stories of actually playing chess while drunk, OTB or otherwise?
I lost a game to an 800 player on the site as I was well into a Pinot Noir and watching Monday Night Football and rebalancing my fantasy football league team.

It was less painful than it could have been...

I've cut back on the multitasking after that one!

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
30 Jun 12

I never play chess, or use power tools without a good buzz going. 😕

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
30 Jun 12

I played in a drinking-themed 'tournament' at someone's apartment. It was only four of us playing a bunch of blitz games, but slamming a shot or beer (both were worth 1 pt, so no one wanted to fall behind in the score 😛) before each game.

We played until we were so plastered that we couldn't set the pieces down straight anymore.

I was the weakest player by rating, but I blundered the least when hammered, so I "won" the thing. 😛

e4

Moves
30 Jun 12

I only do blitz and allegro tournaments and drink.

I'm reckless at the best of times, after a few pints I'm bonkers.
(bonkers being another term for really awful.)
I walk into mates produce unsound combinations.
Well combinations is being kind. Silly two move traps is a better word for it.
But sometimes I pull a corker out the hat.
If I do I hog the board, nobody is allowed on it till I have written it down
because I never recall the drunken games the next day.

Thread 134311 has one of the glorious games
and it was played whilst we were both consuming Guiness.
(having a tipsy Blitz game published in national Newspaper is an achievement.)

The thing I forgot to mention in that thread was at drunken Blitz
the trick is to keep checking, eventually, hopefully, you get a mate.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34

The thing I forgot to mention in that thread was at drunken Blitz
the trick is to keep checking, eventually, hopefully, you get a mate.[/b]
Searching for mates while drunk is a time-honored cross-cultural tradition tracing back to the dawn of time.

d

Moves
30 Jun 12

On 6-25-12, playing on this site and after a liberal lacing of Wild Turkey, I left my Queen enprise. Enough said.

W

Moves
30 Jun 12

cannot show my drunk games,too many illegal moves 😳

g
Mad Murdock

I forgot

Moves
30 Jun 12

I once played a simul vs three guys, two of them from Russia [all were occasional players]. We drunk a lot of Wodka, which I am not used to consume. After a game finished, the next immediately started with opposite colours, while the other games were still continuing. Man, I can't recall half of the night, but spectators told me the next day that I won every single game. Needless to say, that the next morning was horrible.

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by Wilfriedva
Yeh. It's time to put the pieces away when both your bishops are on the same coloured squares.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by hedonist
Yeh. It's time to put the pieces away when both your bishops are on the same coloured squares.
Been there, done that- and when we finally realized it, we had no idea how long we had been playing like that!

H

Moves
30 Jun 12

My only GM victory was whilst 3 sheets to the wind. Fortunately he was five sheets and offering odds of 5 min against 2 min. (and it took me about 5 attempts but I will still take it to my dying day)

Keeps

Shanghai

Moves
02 Jul 12
1 edit

Almost all my games here involve at least 2 or three drunk moves. I am bound over a month to come back after a few beers and assess some of the positions as only requiring a routine move that can be made after a gallon of tiger beer. On a good night I can destroy any hope in about a dozen of my games.

Moves
04 Jul 12

Originally posted by Wilfriedva
This is why I only play drunk chess from home, I wouldn't want to be arrested.

b

Moves
10 Jul 12

I don't drink, but I smoke a lot of hashesh, every game. When I lose it is because I didn't smoke enough.